New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an invite to hunt with some fellow Tnetters from Smokeythecat through triplenickel on a Union camp not far from Gettysburg. I don't want to reveal too much about the site out of respect to Smokythecat. Cold day, frozen ground, spoiled hunter (me) Not long into it I get a machine gun sound of silver targets, 25 minutes later after going through six giant chunks of frozen ground I have seven silver dimes in my pouch. Shortly after that I got a perfect 87 four ways and I expected a bullet. Out pops an Eagle Breastplate. I basically found 90 % of my good find during the first hour of our hunt. Thank you Smokythecat for your generous hospitality (pizza too!) and thanks also to the rest of the guys that were there today hunting with us. Any of you guys feel free to post what you found today also. Thanks Steve for including me. I hope to have you all down my way to hunt some of my sites too!
Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad
Resized_20171216_190947.jpg Resized_20171216_191709.jpg

I found 7 silvers, one Merc got away in the car trying to make a run for it, I'll try again tomorrow, I heard it fall just didn't see where she bounced, lol (your right WIF, they are always trying to get lost)

Resized_20171216_191025.jpg

20171216_1928091.jpg Resized_20171216_190740.jpg Resized_20171216_190828.jpg Resized_20171216_185628.jpg [/ATTACH] Resized_20171216_190918.jpg Resized_20171216_192730.jpg Resized_20171216_191025.jpg

Attachments

• Resized_20171216_185540.jpg
    Resized_20171216_185540.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 62

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the hammer of Thor!!!! What a thrill!

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a hunt congrats on ur finds, breast plate is great find

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is one great invite, heck I'd spring the pizza if the days take looked as sweet as yours. Congrats on the plate and the silver.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You found many a keeper on this hunt but your Eagle Breastplate tops your list! Congratulations on your spectacular hunt!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Big congrats Brad. Spectacular find.

Jelly...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like those silvers were keeping your hand warm.
Awesome hunt, congrats on the breast plate too.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unbelievable hunt!!! There’s a lot of this to love and a plate? What a day you had. Congratulations to you on a epic day. Smokeythecat is one great guy.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Royal Horse Artillary button 1873-1901. Looks like a great day. That breastplate is a killer find. Congrats

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a fun day. Nothing like flagging down the pizza guy on the side of the road! But it worked. I got some minies, several buttons, all appear to be flat, an 18th century crotal bell (go figure on that one), three silver dimes, previously we found two caches in the past on this property (early to mid 20th century coins) and the property history goes back at least 250 years, two pieces from a knapsack and a handful of frozen dirt clods with things in them I'll have to dig into tomorrow. Or Monday. Nothing like 28 degrees and the wind whipping to keep you moving. One digger got a brass trigger to a pistol of some sort and he got a seated dime and half dime, and several knapsack pieces. Another digger got a capped bust dime. I also got cold.

A lot of us used picks to get through the first two inches of dirt. After that it was ok. We all did well, mainly due to the fact the farmer last week disced a new plot of ground pretty deep. We had a small fire going to melt dirt clods. It did work very well.

And as an extra treat, today we could hear the steam whistle from a CW era train making its rounds in the far distance. The wind carries the sound for miles and miles and miles. Same rail line our little picket post guarded over 150 years ago. Kind of brings a chlll to you thinking about it.

The British button was also quite unexpected but we also found a winding key I suppose to a toy and some early 20th century oddball stuff, little pieces of brass, all sorts of stuff. Half of my stuff is still in the car, now re-frozen.

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was a fun day. Nothing like flagging down the pizza guy on the side of the road! But it worked. I got some minies, several buttons, all appear to be flat, an 18th century crotal bell (go figure on that one), three silver dimes, previously we found two caches in the past on this property (early to mid 20th century coins) and the property history goes back at least 250 years, two pieces from a knapsack and a handful of frozen dirt clods with things in them I'll have to dig into tomorrow. Or Monday. Nothing like 28 degrees and the wind whipping to keep you moving. One digger got a brass trigger to a pistol of some sort and he got a seated dime and half dime, and several knapsack pieces. Another digger got a capped bust dime. I also got cold.

A lot of us used picks to get through the first two inches of dirt. After that it was ok. We all did well, mainly due to the fact the farmer last week disced a new plot of ground pretty deep. We had a small fire going to melt dirt clods. It did work very well.

And as an extra treat, today we could hear the steam whistle from a CW era train making its rounds in the far distance. The wind carries the sound for miles and miles and miles. Same rail line our little picket post guarded over 150 years ago. Kind of brings a chlll to you thinking about it.

The British button was also quite unexpected but we also found a winding key I suppose to a toy and some early 20th century oddball stuff, little pieces of brass, all sorts of stuff. Half of my stuff is still in the car, now re-frozen.

Great job Smokey!!! Just a incredible hunt sounds like you guys had a blast. I️ wish you were my dad. Lol

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the hammer of Thor!!!! What a thrill!
Thanks

What a hunt congrats on ur finds, breast plate is great find
Thank you

Now that is one great invite, heck I'd spring the pizza if the days take looked as sweet as yours. Congrats on the plate and the silver.
Thanks

You found many a keeper on this hunt but your Eagle Breastplate tops your list! Congratulations on your spectacular hunt!!
Thank you

Big congrats Brad. Spectacular find.

Jelly...
Thanks Tom I wish you had been there

Beautiful, Incredible, Outstanding, Unbelievable Hunt.
Congratulations on your finds.
Thanks brother

Holy smokes Brad!! So happy for you!! Your awesome generosity is paying you back :D
Thanks Ken

Looks like those silvers were keeping your hand warm.
Awesome hunt, congrats on the breast plate too.
Thanks Dave

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable hunt!!! There’s a lot of this to love and a plate? What a day you had. Congratulations to you on a epic day. Smokeythecat is one great guy.
Thanks

Royal Horse Artillary button 1873-1901. Looks like a great day. That breastplate is a killer find. Congrats
Thanks Steve, I want to come up this week!

Thank you again, you should come hunt with me on my colonial sites!

Great job Smokey!!! Just a incredible hunt sounds like you guys had a blast. I️ wish you were my dad. Lol
I for sure had fun!

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
That's a killer hunt, little bit of everything and some great relics :icon_thumright:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WE did not find the Holy Grail, a Confederate plate or a gold coin, so....there's still hope!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that’s one great relic to put a check mark beside. Congrats on recovering some fantastic coins and relics buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread