Can It Be? Mexican American 5.5 Cannonball

CarmelitePeg

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. First off, I am in La Mesa CA, about 20 miles from the Mexican border. A woman who lives on Mount Helix, had some work done in her yard. The landscapers found this gem. Solid, heavy, rusty and 11 inches round, 5.5 diameter what may be a cannon ball. I suspect Mexican American war period. Im not sure how to post a photo of this item. But I am looking for some input on this.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
C

CarmelitePeg

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20171220_141848.jpg 20171220_141848.jpg

This is it

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They will probably ask you to weigh it also. Hope it is that would be cool.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It may not be a mexican cannonball.Ive read that the mexicans used copper to make cannonballs.

OP
OP
C

CarmelitePeg

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diameter is 3.5 inches.

Hello all. First off, I am in La Mesa CA, about 20 miles from the Mexican border. A woman who lives on Mount Helix, had some work done in her yard. The landscapers found this gem. Solid, heavy, rusty and 11 inches round, 5.5 diameter what may be a cannon ball. I suspect Mexican American war period. Im not sure how to post a photo of this item. But I am looking for some input on this.
Math errors
Diameter is 3.5 inches. 6 pounder

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It may not be a mexican cannonball.Ive read that the mexicans used copper to make cannonballs.

It is my understanding that earlier projectiles (mankiller grapeshot balls, cannonballs, etc...) were conductive metals (copper, brass). But later in-time, (Mexican war era? CW era?) that they were switching over to cheaper iron projectiles.

But in any event: the Mexican period of CA (mid 1820s till the 1847) saw very little military activity. In-so-far as skirmishes and military presence were concerned in CA. Mexico took very little care of CA, in-so-far as defending, garrisoning, etc... And the war for USA independence here was won with just a few running foot-battles, hardly any fatalities, and hardly any shots fired.

So my question would be: What was the significance, of the location it was found in, that would have any historical significance with the Mexican period in-so-far as any battles or military would go ?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earliest cannon balls were made of carved stone. Imagine how long that took. Then the started with cast iron. These were used all the way through the Civil War period.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find!

Cannonball or large machinery ball bearing :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread