Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also if they Don't look nice,
they may be VERY Lonely People,
Who Need a Smile, a Hello. & a Handshake ;)

But do it when they are outside,
so you don't Irritate them,
If they don't like people
Knocking at there doors
asking for things.

"Hi ! Cool Place you got here.
Any Idea how old it is ?
:) "

& eventually

"The Reason I was Wondering is, I'm into Detecting
and I was Wondering .....
:) "

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done things like this before, and it usually works.

Ring the bell. When they answer the door, tell them you were riding your bike and saw a round thing in their yard. Show them the dateless nickel and say, "I thought you might like to have this." Then give it to them (Buffalo nickels that worn aren't worth much anyway). See what kind of reaction you get.

If the reaction is favorable, tell them you metal detect for a hobby and if they would mind if you checked their yard with it.

If they say that would be fine, you have a yard.

If they say no, tell them "Thanks anyway, I didn't think it would hurt to just ask." Then leave.

If they have refused you AND they end up taking your nickel, send me an email of your experience and I'll send you another WITH a date on it.

Nat

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
nat thaqts way cool of you to make him that offer.I hope it works out and he gets the permission...

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Just wait until later in the year to do it. No one likes to find a bunch of dead patches of grass in their yard from digging plugs. I wait until the spring and fall/winter to do homes where people live.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Natman said:
I've done things like this before, and it usually works.

Ring the bell. When they answer the door, tell them you were riding your bike and saw a round thing in their yard. Show them the dateless nickel and say, "I thought you might like to have this." Then give it to them (Buffalo nickels that worn aren't worth much anyway). See what kind of reaction you get.

If the reaction is favorable, tell them you metal detect for a hobby and if they would mind if you checked their yard with it.

If they say that would be fine, you have a yard.

If they say no, tell them "Thanks anyway, I didn't think it would hurt to just ask." Then leave.

If they have refused you AND they end up taking your nickel, send me an email of your experience and I'll send you another WITH a date on it.

Nat
Good advice!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
That sounds like it just might work. What have you got to loose?

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Yes, by all means just ask but be polite about it. And do wait for wet weather, I agree, nobody likes burnt up patches in their lawns. Good luck and HH

Desertfox

P

Pentico

I agree with everyone here, just ask and be nice about it.
If you never ask you will never know.
Could turn out good, like make there day that someone just came by and said "HI".
You will do great!
ChrisP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread