Extremely Cold Hunt with Great Results: Possible New Homesite!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past weekend was beautiful out, but unbelievably cold here. I attempted a hunt at my colonial site, but it's on somewhat raised ground and it froze solid. A little dejected I opted to hunt for the next homesite on the old map. I had already looked for it and found the two homes further up the road, but there was nothing to indicate anything else. I had even walked through the woods and couldn't find anything that indicated settlement. No cleared/leveled ground, no solid rock walls, and certainly no cellar hole. But I was bored so I took to just gridding the land between the two sites I knew existed in hope of finding an iron patch. Less than an hour in I found it!

The ground has started to freeze and it was bitter cold so I only managed about an hour and a half of tighter gridding and covered a 20'x40' patch which may have been to the side of the house. There really isn't anything that would indicate a structure and there are rocks everywhere like it was never cleared for any sort of farming, but the relics check all of the boxes.

DSC03889.JPG DSC03890.JPG

Loads of buttons including one dandy! Most of the flats have standard 1820-1830's back-marks, but I did find three 2-piece dome buttons with very nice designs. I don't usually find those, so I'm interested in how many more will turn up.

DSC03891.JPG

These two are classic homesite finds: the small batwing buckle and the suspenders buckle.

DSC03882.JPG DSC03883.JPG DSC03884.JPG

I'm most excited about these bells. A complete bell is a rare find for me and to find two within 5 feet of each other is incredible! Light lemon juice cleaned them up nicely, although one had started to corrode in the pine soil. They still have a great sound to them too.

DSC03893.JPG

Multiple spoons seem to be the clearest indication of a homesite and the middle pewter one has an iron wire core and a scallop shell drop. Based on my research I think that (along with the general shape) indicates Thomas Yates so 1790's maybe.

DSC03885.JPG DSC03886.JPG DSC03888.JPG

The hunt also included a first: a watch winder! I've never found one before and this one has great designs on both sides. Is there any way to trace this to a maker based on the design, or were there too many aftermarket watch winders in those days?

DSC03892.JPG

And last but not least, there was a single coin from this hunt: an 1879 Indian head penny.

Based on the relics it seems like the site was inhabited from the late 1700's to the late 1800's, but more relics should help isolate when it was most active. It really is odd that there aren't any structure remnants. Rocks aren't in short supply in these woods so I doubt anyone salvaged them for other constructions. There is a single section where two 20' lengths of rock walls come together at 90 degrees to a very large glacial rock. I'll try and get a good photo of it when the snow melts, but it doesn't look like it would have supported a barn. At any rate there's supposed to be a thaw at the end of this week so if the ground frees up, I'll extend the gridding and hopefully have a bunch more relics to decipher!

DSC03881.JPG

Upvote 33

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding a nice spot to keep you busy when things thaw out. That watch winder is really sweet. Most of what I see there is early to mid 19th century. But like you say, more investigation is needed to pin down an accurate time frame. Hope you find some military buttons and an early US silver :thumbsup:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The baby batwing buckle is sweet.

Well done sir.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Rock walls in the Northeast are sometimes tough indicators. Some mark property boundaries and others are from clearing fields for crops. I have a book just about them, lol. The one you describe with the 20’ sections and glacial rock almost sounds like an animal pen. What size are the rocks making up the wall? It’s easy to get wrapped up looking for a structure but from your finds so far, I’m tending more toward a small pasture.

You’re close

Last edited:

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find. Have you thought about trying to find the old out house sites? That's one of the things I try and find after searching the grounds. Back then they would lose all sorts of thing down the outhouse hole. Coins, pocket knives, buttons. Back in the day they would throw trash ( medicine bottles, whisky bottles the men hid from the wives) in the holes. I have found all of the above in the holes. The waste has long since dissolved of any hazardous poop. Iv'e found three old home sites close to my house in the last month. As soon as the new knee lets me I'm fired up to go search them after seeing your finds.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock walls in the Northeast are sometimes tough indicators. Some mark property boundaries and others are from clearing fields for crops. I have a book just about them, lol. The one you describe with the 20’ sections and glacial rock almost sounds like an animal pen. What size are the rocks making up the wall? It’s easy to get wrapped up looking for a structure but from your finds so far, I’m tending more toward a small pasture.

Animal pen is a definite possibility. The rocks are small to medium sized (20-150lbs) with the exception of the giant rock at the corner. The walls are at least 4 feet tall though which is higher than most walls in this area. The 20x40 area I searched is a gentle slope leading down to the flat area nestled between the two walls. If the snow melts enough this Thursday I'll spend some time sketching this as well and try to get an above-view to give you guys a better idea. I'd actually be quite happy if this ended up being just the pasture; means there's tons more around the actual home! :laughing7:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find. Have you thought about trying to find the old out house sites? That's one of the things I try and find after searching the grounds. Back then they would lose all sorts of thing down the outhouse hole. Coins, pocket knives, buttons. Back in the day they would throw trash ( medicine bottles, whisky bottles the men hid from the wives) in the holes. I have found all of the above in the holes. The waste has long since dissolved of any hazardous poop. Iv'e found three old home sites close to my house in the last month. As soon as the new knee lets me I'm fired up to go search them after seeing your finds.

Thank you! I've actually never successfully found a privy at one of these cellar holes. I would love to dig out a couple though; any thoughts on what to look for? I know they weren't typically rock-lined and I'd imagine they would be positioned far away from the well, but besides that I don't know what clues to look for.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice relic finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of early finds! Great work on the research - gotta love when that pays off.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a "bottle probe" about 3 feet long made from 1/4 or 5/16 cold roll round stock steel welded onto a 5 inch piece of 3/4 to 1" pipe. Drill a hole on one side of the pipe and insert the round stock into the pipe and weld. Grind a point on the end (not too sharp or you will punch through a bottle) It will "ping" when you hit a glass. Most out houses are down hill from the house. If its flat, they are generally on the apposite side of a well or water source for oblivious reasons. Take the probe and probe the ground were you thing the out house "should" be. The probe will sink much deeper into the ground than surrounding ground when you find it. Dug up dirt will NEVER pack as hard as un-dug dirt even after hundreds of years. Probe around in a circle and it will tell you almost exactly how wide the hole was. Start digging but prob about every foot because some were filled almost to the top with trash and breaking a 150 year old bottle with a shovel is a hard pill to swallow. Hope this helps. Iv'e found over 400 bottles and many coins doing this technique.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! It looks like you may have found an awesome spot there. I'm excited just thinking about the possibilities there.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on a great hunt and finds.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C4C838CF-31FC-446D-95F7-B4AB10C9B34F.gif

Congrats! Thanx for sharing!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds I'm still waiting for snow to melt just enough to get out.. Thanks for posting your finds. Gotta hit the area bt the house!!!!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a GREAT site!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a very promising site, I hope you can get out again soon. Congrats!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting finds.
Old spoons and watch winder are nice.