trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.. is a 1945 New Zealand Penny. A significant year for a peace loving World :headbang:

Gidday and Kia ora everyone. It's a while since I posted on Today's Finds and I'm 5 days after the event anyway, but here goes.
Charged the batteries in the magic stick and the wireless headphones, then charged the neighbouring ex Velodrome field, known as the Domain.
Bicycle racing was big here, back before even I was born. I like to think I left some more finds for others, but I'm satisfied with my 1945 NZ Penny, showing the Tui bird, whose song I hear all day here and the 2 piece brass button.
NZRbutton.1.JPG
I knew it was a button when I first found it, then I thought I saw the letters VR. Hoping it was a late 19th Century Volunteer Rifles (Militia) . Wasn't in my Geoff Oldham reference book; not there so emailed Geoff and he identified it as NZR, New Zealand Railways.
Awesome and makes sense, our North Island Main Trunk Railway runs through our village.
A.Penny.Saved.JPG

2 finds NZRbutton.1945penny.1.JPG together

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 22

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early Railway Buttons are a good find in my book. I don't get too many of those.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recovery on the R/R button always a nice addition to the collection of finds.
Ah it must be so nice being so nice and warm in the summer months, as we look at snow, ice, and frozen turf. Though having an unheated shower at Cape Reinga campsite in July is a memory.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Congrats. The wife and I are coming your way for a vacation in March. Should I bring the detector?

OP
OP
trikikiwi

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Congrats. The wife and I are coming your way for a vacation in March. Should I bring the detector?
Probably not worth it unless you're into beach hunting as historical metal finds are few and far between, given initial European settlers found the inhabitants of the time to be a stone-age culture. And we are prohibited from any ''known' historical sites. If you want to PM me your itinerary, I might be able to provide some useful info for your travels.

OP
OP
trikikiwi

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery on the R/R button always a nice addition to the collection of finds.
Ah it must be so nice being so nice and warm in the summer months, as we look at snow, ice, and frozen turf. Though having an unheated shower at Cape Reinga campsite in July is a memory.
Good to hear you've visited here. I'd like to visit your amazing country one day too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread