South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With temps in the teens and about 10" of snow it's been a great time to research new spots. I've been researching dots in the woods at one of the large county parks near my office. Typically I avoid the big county parks because they have been hit for decades, but I had a feeling the old map I found might have some dots not hit before.

Sooo, I made the trek through the fairly deep snow into the woods and eventually found the stone foundation. Unpacked the detector and started sweeping through the snow (trying not to snap my arm support).
First silver'ish target, pocket watch.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516384315.812796.jpg
Got in two 45 min hunts at this site.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516384266.142697.jpg
And
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516384358.401824.jpg
The spoons, watch and cap gun date to the 1940's. Everything I dug was just into the dirt layer, maybe 2". I would clear the 10" of snow, then 2" of leaves to get to the pay dirt. I'm hoping that I am just out off range for the older smaller good stuff. Snow should melt for hunts next week so we'll see.

Almost forgot, found a 1941 Canadian silver quarter in my change this week. Worn, but I'll take it.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516384896.972445.jpg

Stay warm my friends!

Last edited:
Upvote 23

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go. Nice finds in deplorable conditions. Keep up the good work. Also nice change find on the Canadian quarter.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some nice finds even tho the weather has you limited. You had me thinking about scouting my researched sites for surface finds once the snow melts but before the ground is thawed. I also collect older bottles and insulators so it would give me something to do in the meantime.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, for a scouting mission you did excellent. Large old parks have more to offer in the fringes. Well done mate.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty nice relics, always love the toy/cap guns. good luck

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck, for a scouting mission you did excellent. Large old parks have more to offer in the fringes. Well done mate.

Thx! When I find the usual suspects (cap guns, farm tags, plated spoons, pocket watch bits) I'm usually also digging a handful of coins and other keepers. I think these test pans are a good sign for this site.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some nice finds even tho the weather has you limited. You had me thinking about scouting my researched sites for surface finds once the snow melts but before the ground is thawed. I also collect older bottles and insulators so it would give me something to do in the meantime.

Thx Metal Headz! Note that in Northern Allegheny County the dirt was moist and unfrozen under the snow. Should be easy digging once the snow melts.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go. Nice finds in deplorable conditions. Keep up the good work. Also nice change find on the Canadian quarter.

Thx! I found 1 silver quarter in my change last year, so my one gimme came early this year.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pretty nice relics, always love the toy/cap guns. good luck

Thx. I seem to find parts of old cap guns at about every old site I hit. This one is surprisingly intact, just the trigger spring rusted away. They are also easily date'able so they help with understanding the site.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Metal Headz! Note that in Northern Allegheny County the dirt was moist and unfrozen under the snow. Should be easy digging once the snow melts.

Thanks for the heads up. I usually test my yard to get an idea of how hard the ground is. I'm still searching west central Allegheny county, I'm working my way out eventually. I'm knocking out sites near my house first.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do this at lunch then go back to the office. They must think you're nuts, but we call it hardcore. Early forecast is looking good for next weekend.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relic hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats! good research is key as you know. BTW you my friend are a hard core hunter!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread