Spherical gold

Dig'em

Jan 24, 2015
Joshua Tree, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Some interesting spherical gold I've been finding. It really likes to float and tends to group together. When you try and get a pipette near it, it wants to move away. I've found this in two different locations so far and one of the spots doesn't have any history of gold that I know of.

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 17

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try posting the pics in the Gold Panning forum. Smart folks there
that have prospected just about everywhere.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh thats just the fuel for my hyper-drive generator...
Can you send it to me so i can get back to Tatooine where its warm?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact you say that it likes to float tells me it probably isnt gold. Tiny gold flakes can sit on top of the surface tension of water because the surface area to weight ratio. There would be no way a sphere of gold would be able to float.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact you say that it likes to float tells me it probably isnt gold. Tiny gold flakes can sit on top of the surface tension of water because the surface area to weight ratio. There would be no way a sphere of gold would be able to float.
I thought that as well.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think it's floating mostly, but it rolls right out of the black sand, so people loose it all the time. It's prevalent in the desert. I thought it was an oddity at first but I was talking to a local Az prospector and he showed me some that the had just picked up in the wash a couple hours before, and I picked up a small round picker myself this week. The stuff is hard to catch to say the least, but the Gold Hog Multi-Sluice held on to it. Trying to separate it in a standard gold pan was rediculously easy because it rolls all over... And that's also why it gets lost so often :evil6:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dig'em

Dig'em

Jan 24, 2015
Joshua Tree, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Other

Gold does float at times, especially when you forget to use a surfactant. I've seen my share of flat flakes from flood gold float right out of a pan, especially if it's dry. I've had people suggest everything from mercury gold to platinum or it's just bb's from brazing. It's weird stuff that for sure!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool, congrats.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They may be from a fire assay. When the gold mixed with lead is cupellated it forms a little "bead". This is when the lead/gold/ silver remains is placed in a cupel and heated.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you anywhere near a meteorite impact? Rock Elm Disturbance (meteor impact) gold can be really round and/or wirey and rolls off miller tables easily. The impact melted the gold into droplets and cooled them into shot before they landed. Same idea as using a tower to produce lead shot.

Oliophilic adhesion or grease table will catch roughly 80% of what won't stick to a miller table. It will work down to about #200, but smaller sizes don't have enough weight to catch in the grease.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
About 10 years ago ,while up in Wyoming dredging I found a small gold a spiracle ball in my pan and it would also roll around in my pan , BUT when I saw it I pulled it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread