George Washington Mourning Urn Cufflink

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was the day I dug my first George Washington find. I have dreamed of finding a GW button for many years. Today I revisited a site where I dug some 1780’s and 1790’s Spanish Silvers. The day began just like any other...looking for the iron...🤪. I switched my F75 to 4 tone and listened for anything over an iron grunt. First target was a tombac. Then nails for an hour. Then I got a high squeak amongst the iron. Dug my plug and there it was. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516411045.331089.jpg

I didn’t think much of it until I saw the Urn... [emoji15]
Then my heart starting beating hard. I snapped two pictures then came home to research.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516411162.139690.jpg

Reproduction picture for clarity.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516411214.245151.jpg

After I researched I found it to be the Rare George Washington Mourning Cufflink. My favorite find to date! Thank you all for looking.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516411304.548018.jpg

Upvote 54

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home | Current Auction | Store | Register | My Account | Contact Us | Bidding Instructions | Past Auction Results | Latest News

This is from oldpoliticals.com-- 38367_med urn.jpg

Old Politicals Auction #21

Lot #4:
George Washington Era Funeral Urn Cuff Button

All > Presidents > George Washington
All > Featured Items

Return To Catalog

Bidding

This lot is closed for bidding. Bidding ended on 10/10/2014

Late 18th/very early 19th century button. There are a number of designs for these cuff and clothing buttons with funeral urns. Some of these designs These have been attributed as made for the funeral and the mourning period after the death of George Washington. This is an example of one such design. About 16 mm tall with the link still attached on the reverse where a second one would have been attached. These were used in identical pairs for "French" cuffs worn at the time. The design is clearly shown in this example. Shank is attached to this thin button.

George Washington Era Funeral Urn Cuff Button George Washington Era Funeral Urn Cuff Button

Click above for larger image.

Bidding

Current Bidding

Minimum Bid: $250
Final prices include buyers premium.: $0
Estimate: $500 - $600
Number Bids: 0

Auction closed on Friday, October 10, 2014.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very unique and awesome find.
Congrats

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys for all the comments. This is where I found the Spanish Silvers, Colonial Copper so the site is period for 1799-1800. I looked for the twin, but didn't find it on this trip. I will hopefully find the other cuff button. It still has some gold Gilt left on the urn.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home | Current Auction | Store | Register | My Account | Contact Us | Bidding Instructions | Past Auction Results | Latest News

This is from oldpoliticals.com-- View attachment 1539059

Old Politicals Auction #21

Lot #4:
George Washington Era Funeral Urn Cuff Button

All > Presidents > George Washington
All > Featured Items

Return To Catalog

Bidding

This lot is closed for bidding. Bidding ended on 10/10/2014

Late 18th/very early 19th century button. There are a number of designs for these cuff and clothing buttons with funeral urns. Some of these designs These have been attributed as made for the funeral and the mourning period after the death of George Washington. This is an example of one such design. About 16 mm tall with the link still attached on the reverse where a second one would have been attached. These were used in identical pairs for "French" cuffs worn at the time. The design is clearly shown in this example. Shank is attached to this thin button.

George Washington Era Funeral Urn Cuff Button George Washington Era Funeral Urn Cuff Button

Click above for larger image.

Bidding

Current Bidding

Minimum Bid: $250
Final prices include buyers premium.: $0
Estimate: $500 - $600
Number Bids: 0

Auction closed on Friday, October 10, 2014.
Sucker born every minute. The auction covered itself well. Read the KEY word;
''George Washington Era''
This is a true statement as this type of linked-button or cuff-link is GW period.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516493123.365672.jpg

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader is being a Sally Soul Snatcher! Ken C. and all you guys that are happy for me. Thank You...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Crusader is being a Sally Soul Snatcher! Ken C. and all you guys that are happy for me. Thank You...

Good, bad, or indifferent, Crusader is simply providing you with information. There is a chance this variety of link was worn during the mourning period following Washington’s death, but not manufactured uniquely for his death alone. GW buttons on the contrary were manufactured for his 1st and 2nd inaugurations. That said, it’s a really great cufflink and I’m happy for you.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what Crusader is saying. I'm just messing around about the Sally Soul Snatcher comment. Like I said I know what I have dug at this site and this is probably the case for this particular site. 5 feet away from where I dug this Button/Cufflink I also dug a Vermont Colonial Copper. Someone obviously traveled to Mississippi from Up north and settled on the site. How else would a Vermont Copper end up here? I am going to keep the button/cufflink just like it is. All I am saying is these are the only urn pictures on the internet that match this button/cufflink. I am happy either way.

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find! Anything GW related is the find of the year for most folks.

John

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen anything like an Urn Button / Cufflink before. TNET is quite an educational journey. You are definitely digging a nice colonial site.
Congratulations on your finds.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really, just being my usual self. I like facts & I likes facts to spread, rather than more internet myths.
As Scrappy states, there is a chance that these could have been used for that purpose but equally they are a very common image used in the UK (Not for that purpose). Yours was probably imported from a UK manufacturer, but they were not commissioned for the purpose that those that want to make money make out. Unless you want to flip a coin.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple of varieties I've had. They come in Brass, silver plated, gold plated, & even a tombac versions. Not to mention the hundreds of different styles of urn.

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 292

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ps. If you want to make money from others ignorance, then join the ebay crazy & buy them from a UK seller for less than $5 & sell it over there for $250. Its a free world. Although make sure you get the Export Licence.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, is there a back mark on any of those ?

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A simply stunning find. I think with all the variants on GW items though I surely have it researched them there are as many variations on the value but the one you dug is most valuable for the memory alone.

stealthycat

Feb 17, 2012
Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pros
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crusader - was than an original GW urn cuff links that would be rare and valuable ? Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread