George Washington Mourning Urn Cufflink

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was the day I dug my first George Washington find. I have dreamed of finding a GW button for many years. Today I revisited a site where I dug some 1780’s and 1790’s Spanish Silvers. The day began just like any other...looking for the iron...🤪. I switched my F75 to 4 tone and listened for anything over an iron grunt. First target was a tombac. Then nails for an hour. Then I got a high squeak amongst the iron. Dug my plug and there it was. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516411045.331089.jpg

I didn’t think much of it until I saw the Urn... [emoji15]
Then my heart starting beating hard. I snapped two pictures then came home to research.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516411162.139690.jpg

Reproduction picture for clarity.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516411214.245151.jpg

After I researched I found it to be the Rare George Washington Mourning Cufflink. My favorite find to date! Thank you all for looking.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516411304.548018.jpg

Upvote 54

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crusader is being a Sally Soul Snatcher! Ken C. and all you guys that are happy for me. Thank You...

Seriously. Using the word sucker rubbed me the wrong way.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah..I am glad that I know now that this was a common button during the time period. I honestly thought that this was a button that was used to mourn George Washington after his death. I was going by my only source of information...The Internet. I will keep the dream alive and hopefully find some more great relics and maybe coinage out of this site.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if you go back to that spot you will find another one. And who knows what else might turn up?

I don't think we found a whole lot there which is why we didn't go back, but maybe I'll create a plan for that area and put it on the list. I'd like to find another urn button but quite honestly it doesn't mean a whole lot, but who knows what else could be around. You always wonder what was left behind in an area that you didn't feel was worth going back to, or just didn't for whatever reason.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea. Didn’t IP get a fancy new machine last season? Maybe when it thaws in May....

All my sites/fields get plowed, so that makes a much bigger difference than any detector. So an even better reason to go back.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
All my sites/fields get plowed, so that makes a much bigger difference than any detector. So an even better reason to go back.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516892570.590090.jpg I hope this picture doesn’t give your spot away to anyone.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think we found a whole lot there which is why we didn't go back, but maybe I'll create a plan for that area and put it on the list. I'd like to find another urn button but quite honestly it doesn't mean a whole lot, but who knows what else could be around. You always wonder what was left behind in an area that you didn't feel was worth going back to, or just didn't for whatever reason.
Also worth considering is that you were not as experienced in detecting and reading the lay of the land as you are now, so you could have either missed stuff or just been on the fringe of the main concentration.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah..I am glad that I know now that this was a common button during the time period.

Common 220 years ago doesn't make it a common find now! I'd kill to find that relic.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also worth considering is that you were not as experienced in detecting and reading the lay of the land as you are now, so you could have either missed stuff or just been on the fringe of the main concentration.

That's true, back in those days we made a big mistake only trying the lower part of the fields near the water.

Here's what it looks like. Thanks Scrappy for trying to throw people off the trail ;) but it's ok.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 67

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I'd be careful with those British Antiquities sites. They I.D.'d my heart and crowns cufflink as Charles II marriage commemoration one. :laughing7:
I think stuff like that happens all the time, someone ID's an item as having a particular significance and than it's a snowball effect.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah..I am glad that I know now that this was a common button during the time period. I honestly thought that this was a button that was used to mourn George Washington after his death. I was going by my only source of information...The Internet. I will keep the dream alive and hopefully find some more great relics and maybe coinage out of this site.

It's a great find with a good age to it never the less. I'm sure there's more finds where it came from.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread