New Canadian Quarter??

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I went to a local convenient store to put in $20 dollars of gas in my tank. Upon pumping the gas it only would hold $19.50 dollars, so I went back in to get my change. The young clerk said “do you mind Canadian coins?” I said no and she handed me two quarter size coins and I walked out the door. After exiting the store, I looked at the coins; one was a clad quarter the other was a silver 1898 Barber quarter.

I wonder if someone raided their parents or grandparents coin collection for candy. Anyway, in the future I will be asking the clerk if she has any “Canadian” coins.

Thank you for looking.

GL & HH

Doc

Barber Quarter 01_20_2018.jpg

Upvote 39

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROFL, if you want to have some real fun, get some $2 bills from your local bank and spend them at any convenience store or fast food store. Or an Ike dollar or a Kennedy half. The looks you will get are worth it. Those younguns' have no clue.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice piece of change.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good finds are everywhere to those with a keen eye! Thanks for sharing. I haven’t found. Barber yet...but you’ve reminded me that there are more ways to look. Congratulations on the unexpected silver.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have marched right back in and ask if they had any more Canadian

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh man I wish I could get those types of Canadian coins up here in Canada.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome. Way to score a barber above the surface.
When i get beer or groceries i always ask the clerk if they have any half dollar coins..
So far no luck. My store is on the boarder between "upper and lower class people"
I hate that i have to say that but cant think of a better term atm..
Always hoping someone bought their mini shot bottle with one...

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow...quite the luck there! My best claim to fame along that line is a 1930-S wheatie from a general store in Kennebunk, ME - definitely a distant second to your find. Congrats sir!

John

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I was in retail for a spell way back when and there would be runs of old coins and silver. We figured it out as the people who burgled homes did not know what they had and spent them at face value. Soon after we discussed this my boss at the time took over the register for a spell and somebody paid him with a silver eagle at face value.

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to work at a liquor store in a really rough hood and the crazy stuff people would come in with was nuts. Lots of old silver and currencies from around the world usually smashed out of displays I think. They were usually pretty mint. I was not allowed tips but they did let me trade new coins for old ones which is why I always worked with a big pocket of change to trade for quarters. My favorite question was "Can you guys take this". It was always a big silver half dollar at least that I would give them two quarters for and keep it out the till. Love this story

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha. I’ve been know to spend a few Roosies and Mercs at stores, but nothing earlier. Nice score

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My step son works as a bartender, I am at times really surprised at what he comes up with. Your "Canadian" quarter? Sometimes you just gotta love the "young" clerks, at a supermarket one time I traded a $5 bill for a $5 "RED" seal bill. Go figure.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done Doc- nice find!!

-- Jeff --

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Bhahahaha! I think this guy says it best...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516541284.041666.jpg

Since you can't spend "Canadian" there, I'll be happy to let you send that to me and I'll send you brand new shiny American in exchange. [emoji12]

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well....you don't see that every day! Further evidence that our educational system is failing our youts....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread