South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing once in a lifetime find! Do you have any in situ pics, pics of your complete hunt, background on the site, research tidbits? Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner vote from me. Thanks for sharing it...

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
civil war digger 1862: Welcome to T'net. And congratz on the holy-grail hole-in-one find on all md'rs wish list.

I haven't read all the replies here so far, but ... as you may surmise: A gold coin frequently (but not always ) makes banner here. HOWEVER: Just to remind everyone, one of the factors is the story that accompanies it. Ie.: those that spin a story about the entire hunt . Eg.: pix of other stuff found in context. They type machine used, the strategies employed, blah blah. Not just a pix and a single sentence : "look what I found".

NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH 1 or 2 sentence show & tell posts. But, just sayin', as it pertains to banner: The whole context story is a factor in the mod's decision. Another factor many here have noticed, is the length of time and # of posts from the person. A new person (where this is his first post), is usually not banner. This is so that those long-time forum contributors, who make the system work, will get banner consideration more often than someone who's a first-timer.

And while all those factors might *seem* unfair, You have to realize that the classification of banner HAS to be finicky and picky . Lest there be "banner inflation" and stuff every day gets up there. Because, sure, there's cool stuff found daily. So I remind people that there have even been gold coins (even one of mine) that did not make banner.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner! (I do agree that you need need to add some context and tell the story though.) Amazing find!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
civil war digger 1862: Welcome to T'net. And congratz on the holy-grail hole-in-one find on all md'rs wish list.

I haven't read all the replies here so far, but ... as you may surmise: A gold coin frequently (but not always ) makes banner here. HOWEVER: Just to remind everyone, one of the factors is the story that accompanies it. Ie.: those that spin a story about the entire hunt . Eg.: pix of other stuff found in context. They type machine used, the strategies employed, blah blah. Not just a pix and a single sentence : "look what I found".

NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH 1 or 2 sentence show & tell posts. But, just sayin', as it pertains to banner: The whole context story is a factor in the mod's decision. Another factor many here have noticed, is the length of time and # of posts from the person. A new person (where this is his first post), is usually not banner. This is so that those long-time forum contributors, who make the system work, will get banner consideration more often than someone who's a first-timer.

And while all those factors might *seem* unfair, You have to realize that the classification of banner HAS to be finicky and picky . Lest there be "banner inflation" and stuff every day gets up there. Because, sure, there's cool stuff found daily. So I remind people that there have even been gold coins (even one of mine) that did not make banner.

Great points however, OP is new and his first post, I doubt it matters?

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you will be on a buzz for quite some time after finding that gold dollar,and it is certainly pretty. Your new machine is really panning out well on a site you previously hunted a million times.

OP
OP
Civil war digger 1862
Jan 21, 2018
Spotsylvania Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT pro, AT max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this coin yesterday on a old colonial sunken road. This is a area that I have spent TONS of hours hunting with the Garrett AT pro. First I detected some thick brush around the road and got no signals then I went into a swamp part in the road. Next I got a small 50-60 signal so I dug it and saw the gold rim of a coin. I instantly knew what it was and I freaked out. That was easily my best find metal detecting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... OP is new and his first post, I doubt it matters?

Well, yes it matters. Is that seemingly arbitrary ? Sure. Is it the O.P.'s fault he only just now got his first computer and found T'net ? No. But if persons don't contribute regularly (to chime in and "atteboy" other people's finds, etc...) and are a first time poster, and/or end up never chiming in again, then you can see that it's a factor of "family" status as well.

Yes I know that bites for someone who, possibly, simply didn't know of this forum beforehand. And has every intention of NOT being a "one-time-drive-by poster". But in order for the banner to keep its allure, there's HAS to be super finicky prestige to it. Lest there be "banner inflation".

Last edited:

richeysd76

Oct 28, 2013
spotsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Garrett at pro, fisher f4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, yes it matters. Is that seemingly arbitrary ? Sure. Is it the O.P.'s fault he only just now got his first computer and found T'net ? No. But if persons don't contribute regularly (to chime in and "atteboy" others finds, etc...) and are a first time poster, and/or end up never chiming in again, then you can see that it's a factor of "family" status as well.

Yes I know that bites for someone who, possibly, simply didn't know of this forum beforehand. And has every intention of "not being a one-time-drive-by poster". But in order for the banner to keep its allure, there's HAS to be super finicky prestige to it. Lest there be "banner inflation".

Just to let everyone know he's only 14yo. My son diggerkid2003 and him are school friends and he talked him into signing up on treasurenet to post his find. I don't know if age matters for making banner but instead of him being like most kids playing on phones,computers or video games he was out in the woods.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Just to let everyone know he's only 14yo. My son diggerkid2003 and him are school friends and he talked him into signing up on treasurenet to post his find. I don't know if age matters for making banner but instead of him being like most kids playing on phones,computers or video games he was out in the woods.

Well now THERE'S a great component to the story.

Let me add another ... unfortunate but true, factor in banner decision :

A friend of mine posted a rare S mint seated quarter, that had book value of something like $3k to $4k. HOWEVER, the coin was in hosed tarnished condition. He posted the initial "before" pix , where ... it was sadly "ground kissed". Hence very dubious as to real value. But ... none-the-less, a very key date.

Then a week or two after the first post, he finished a laborious careful cleaning process (so as to leave little evidence of having been cleaned). And NOW the coin's value and eye appeal was greatly enhanced. He went to add the "after" pix to the post.

But you know the drill: Often time people only click on the original post a single time. And do not go back to click on posts they'd already read. He tried to make a new post then, but people , I guess, Just assumed "oh yeah, I already read/saw that".

My friend and I determined that IF HE HAD WAITED to put the "after" pix in the FIRST post, THEN it might have had a chance at banner.

So to apply that logic to THIS post (and it's no fault of the OP's): If such details as are now coming out (the age of the hunter is an awesome story) IN THE INITIAL post , then the odds creep up. Again, is that arbitrary ? Sure. But just saying how the system has seemed to work.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That should indeed be part of the story.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
That should indeed be part of the story.

Yes. It's cool factors such as that, that spin the entire context for the decision. But , as I pointed out, if the parts of the story become disjointed (added in later in the thread, or separate posts, etc...), then it's not a singular post that's "up for banner consideration".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread