Tiny Gold Ring

kurtstuben

Apr 19, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here in the south the day started cold (34 degrees) but warmed up nicely (70 degrees). I went back to the local honey hole and had another good hunt, plus there were several guys from our local club hunting so it couldn't have been better. I picked a spot I hadn't hunted before and started, in just a couple of hours I had a couple of wheaties and 5 nickels, including the shiny war nickel.
20180121_203801.jpg
Since there were so many mid-tone good targets, plus the fact I found a ladies class ring here last weekend, I thought my odds were good. Shortly before noon I had a spot with a double signal...Carolina Tom has told me to dig those since one signal may mask the VDI for the second target. Anyway I had one of those, dug a target then ran the detector over the spot again. Honestly, at the time I thought it was maybe a 58-60 but dug it anyway. First thing I saw was a reeded edge but the thing was tiny, too tiny (and thick) to be a coin and when I'd rub it, it cleaned up. I thought it was probably stainless steel, maybe a watch piece or the flint thing on a fancy lighter, anyway once I wiped it and got my loupe on it I saw the 10k. When I went back to the XP Deus (Basic1, Disc=8, 3 tones) and tested it, it rang a 43 and weighs 0.69g. It's got to be a baby ring but haven't researched yet, I've attached several pics for size reference. Also note the bullet shell, it's about 1.75" long but it has 3 holes drilled in it, I've never seen this, thoughts?
20180121_211556.jpg 20180121_211431.jpg Image41.jpg Image43.jpg
20180121_203837.jpg 20180121_203843.jpg 20180121_203905.jpg

Thanks, hh to all!

Upvote 29

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent hunt! You are very lucky to have an active club to hunt with and mentors like Carolina Tom to teach you the tricks of the trade!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent hunt! You are very lucky to have an active club to hunt with and mentors like Carolina Tom to teach you the tricks of the trade!

I didn't teach him anything, I only gave him misleading information, which he somehow used against me to locate 2 gold rings!

Well done Kurt, I cried myself to sleep last night...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice finds. Congrats on the ring.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice hunt! :occasion14:

OP
OP
K

kurtstuben

Apr 19, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't teach him anything, I only gave him misleading information, which he somehow used against me to locate 2 gold rings!

Well done Kurt, I cried myself to sleep last night...

Was that with your 32 silvers and 2 gold rings all laid out next to you? In all seriousness, this site has produced for the locals and it'll be gone in a couple of weeks...bummer.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the gold ring!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Was that with your 32 silvers and 2 gold rings all laid out next to you? In all seriousness, this site has produced for the locals and it'll be gone in a couple of weeks...bummer.

I also had my 2 CW bullets laid out, they are now tear stained!

It really has been a blast, a minimum of 60 silver coins, and 7 gold rings have come from that site. It's the best one I have had the opportunity to hunt in my 4 years. You've been doing really well lately, seems like 2018 is YOUR year.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that casing with the flutings on it used to be a complete dummy round. Typically they are linked together to practice loading, unloading, and immediate action on machine guns when you wouldn't want to be using live rounds. I teach the ammunition class in the M1A2 SEP Master Gunner course for the Army.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your bullet shell is a 30 cal military visual training round. It is crimped and holed to show it was a dummy. It is of WW1 vintage I am sure. Do you see a date on the bottom? I have found two where the bi-planes used to target practice with Lewis machine guns.

Nice small gold

Last edited:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also note the bullet shell, it's about 1.75" long but it has 3 holes drilled in it, I've never seen this.

Now is that 1.75 inches a measurement of just that casing, or was that measured and added to the bit of casing that still remains on the projectile? Sweet ring BTW.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So that casing with the flutings on it used to be a complete dummy round. Typically they are linked together to practice loading, unloading, and immediate action on machine guns when you wouldn't want to be using live rounds. I teach the ammunition class in the M1A2 SEP Master Gunner course for the Army.

I didn't see your post when I posted. These were not linked together because they were for the drum of the Lewis machine gun used in WW1. Did they even have machine gun belts for 30-06 bullets? I guess the bottom of the shell will tell everything if it can be read. It could be from a M-60 machine gun if newer than WW1.

Here are two Lewis machine gun magazines I have recovered from lake St. Clair. One with 26 live bullets and one with 6.

I can't find a picture of the fluted rounds NOR can I find where I put the stupid things. His does look like a 30-06 which would be a 30 cal though. Don't you think?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what they said just pretend i said it very nice finds thanks for sharing em with us

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful ring
Congrats

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't see your post when I posted. These were not linked together because they were for the drum of the Lewis machine gun used in WW1. Did they even have machine gun belts for 30-06 bullets? I guess the bottom of the shell will tell everything if it can be read. It could be from a M-60 machine gun if newer than WW1.

Here are two Lewis machine gun magazines I have recovered from lake St. Clair. One with 26 live bullets and one with 6.

I can't find a picture of the fluted rounds NOR can I find where I put the stupid things. His does look like a 30-06 which would be a 30 cal though. Don't you think?

You may very well be correct, they have had them for every caliber to train with. We still have the flutes in some of ours and on a tank it's all belt fed. We use them for every weapon system. Sometimes we sneak in singles halfway down a soldiers magazine just to see what they do when actually firing at a range.

Those magazines are cool scubadetector, I am in the process of getting certified by a coworker, now I need a scuba detector!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions