Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tesoro Cibola has been feeling neglected lately, after all it's just a turn and go machine. One frequency, no ground balance, no bells, no whistles, but it has found two gold coins in it's career! Well, it coerced me into getting it out of the back of the truck and back into the swing. We all have had a few places we would like to think had relics in them, but for one reason or another, never got around to digging there. Today that changed. This one little lot is in a very old neighborhood but has been infested with greenbriers in the 40 years I have been in the area. A few weeks ago, someone came and mowed the lot. Then they scraped it down with a dozer, I suppose they are going to build something there. It's out in the middle of nowhere, maybe it's just for sale, there were no for sale signs visible. Near a crossroads, it' has been inviting me there for awhile.

It's a small place. I got permission from someone on the site and spent about and hour and a half out.

Here are the results. This is the most colonial relics I have gotten in one day since forever. I also got couple horseshoes, misc. iron which I tossed, some bits and pieces of copper something or others and a few of those little brass tacks to put on furniture. No shoe buckle pieces which was kind of odd. There was oyster shell around and some broken black glass. I was in kind of a hurry, the landscaper will be here any minute now. Have to meet him to go over some upcoming work.

The Spanish pieces of 8 are #5 and #6 of my entire digging career. The soil is very good there, and there is detail on all of the coppers. The tombac buttons look like new! One blow hole French and Indian war period button, four colonial coppers, I haven't looked too carefully at them yet. The last picture is of the coppers.

Fun, fun, fun. Tomorrow Civil War detecting.
View attachment IMG_0733.jpg View attachment IMG_0727.jpg View attachment IMG_0728.jpg View attachment IMG_0729.jpg View attachment IMG_0730.jpg View attachment IMG_0731.jpg View attachment IMG_0732.jpg

Upvote 58

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to know more about those coppers. I have been digging colonial sites exclusively for over ten years and have never found coppers in that condition. Incredible!! Is it a cleaning process you do? Please fill me in.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... been a long time since I have seen a cut like that... Textbook.

Well done.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two are hard to see. Other two came out great. The soil there is very mild and they were found in a small area which looks like some lime or ash or something was in the ground with them and helped preserve them. Oyster shell will do that also. Lots of oyster shells here too. I get this effect on great occasion. Once in NY state a long time ago I got some "USA" Rev War buttons from the same kind of conditions that looked literally like they were made yesterday! Only happens under very special conditions and almost never.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even in trash pits loaded with oyster shells coppers around here come out oxidized. Very kind soil you have

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
pump the brakes!!!
you're gonna go out of control if you don't slow down some!
Wow Smokey, I guess I can say you smoked it again, great finds!
All the stuff from that era is so interesting to me, nice job!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I had the week off and the weather has been almost reasonable, no way I'm binge watching all 8 years of "24" in one week. It will take two weeks. BTW I do not have brakes. I went out to the truck and retrieved the other two coins. They are both early American. These were found about 75' away from the good looking ones and are considerably more pitted. The half round thing I don't what what it is. Half a button? It's from yesterday. I have a very fresh smelly coating of Renaissance wax on them which makes them appear better than they really are. But I like it! Best day for coppers for me was 5 back about 1989 from a colonial tavern about 20 miles from here. At that site 4 of 5 coppers would be garbage, the last one looking like it was made very recently, go figure. Too many sites, not enough days! I don't know the intricacies of these coins, maybe someone can chime in on an ID of these two.

View attachment IMG_0735.jpg

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should send your soil to the Smithsonian because if after 300 or so years those coppers don't tarnish badly in the ground then I think that soil is worth more than gold! You have me motivated to get out digging this weekend. Keep posting your unbelievable finds!!!

rickb2202

Jan 30, 2015
nuevo mexico
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job of reading the country ! What great finds!!!. If I was going to hunt a cw hut tomorrow, I wouldn't sleep a wink!!!!!. Good luck!!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful collection of finds Smokey! The pieces of silver are lovely, as are those coppers. I can't imagine pulling all of those colonial pieces out of the ground during a single hunt. It doesn't get better than that!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joeyfresh, I have gone the ultimate step of sending a coin from a couple weeks ago to PCGS for conservation. It's a Liberty Cap half cent. It came out the ground looking like one of those crusty Roman coins, the ones if cleaned properly look like there made yesterday. Because of that I'm hoping they can actually pull something off the coin, since it is encrusted, and maybe protected. I hope. They may just send it back with a note stating maybe next time.
I got a few of the Romans and some Andre's pencils and they work great. I got a coin from the salt water in 2011 from the wreck of the "Faithful Steward" that while green, has all the details on it! Another copper found less than 100' away was eroded so badly it was almost paper thin! Salt water! Go figure. I thought salt ate up copper coins. I know it devours clad pretty quickly. Unfortunately, I didn't do chemistry so have no clue why my two sites, some 40 miles apart have produced nice looking coppers, again 4 of 5 are not good, while most every other place produces garbage. I've found the same thing with Indian head cents. Some are so gone it's hard to tell what they were, another one from another site will just have a slick green sheen on it with little or NO pitting. My last 1865 was like that.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great start to the long weekend. Enjoy and congrats on those nice finds!:icon_thumright:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CANT BEAT OLE COLONIAL RELICS>

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You rock. Those little cut silvers are really something to behold.

I look forward to seeing your next set of finds. Congrats.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. I just realized I have a date on the larger one. "81". Which of course would be 1781. I am stoked. Eyes are burning holes in their sockets and I'm on another crazy dig tomorrow. I was in a hurry to post them, as this week off is ending quickly.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt! Congrats on those colonial treasures.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Now We're metal detecting:thumb_up:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an assortment of coppers
Congrats

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge congrats on an amazing hunt!!! Can you make out the all seeing eye on the other side of the Nova? The other coppers are great finds as well, but the cut silver looks like the day it was lost that is why I love finding silver coins! I'm still working on finding my first cut silver, I'm glad you've recovered 2 more for your collection. Big congrats!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions