Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone,

Am doing the happy dance today ;D First gold, first ZAR coinage, Best find.

Went to a old Boer war site with a friend, where the artillery were set up for battle in the Boer war.
It is a great site made up of walls about 1.5 metres high that the troops used to run around in. The whole structure is in a horseshoe shape.
Anyway, I got a signal and dug down and found this coin. As soon as I picked it up, I saw that it was gold because of the colour. Something I learnt from this site is to never rub a coin, so I waited till I got home and washed it in soapy water. (that was very difficult)

Gold Kruger 1 Pond, 0.2353 Ounces Gold, Value +- R2000

I found another bullet case and a small piece of pottery, and that was it......

I know for a fact that this site has been gone over by many others in the past, as this was told to me by another guy that did detecting. So right from the start I knew that if I found something, there would not be much.
But I have learnt from Tnet that a site is never stripped of it's finds.

Anyway, here are pics of the coin and the site, hope you enjoy them.

God bless
Peter

Kruger Pond1.jpg

The heads side of the coin.

Kruger Pond.jpg

Tails side of the coin.

Wall1.jpg

Pic of the wall.

Wall2.jpg

Another pic of the wall.

Wall.jpg

Another pic of the wall.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings Birdman, I will be keeping the coin as I do collect coins, I have a large collection of coins, just another hobby.... Also it is my most valuable find / coin, also my first gold find ;D I was offered R3000 for it the other day, the price just keeps getting better ::) Tomorrow I will be going about 100 - 200metres further past this site to another site from the Boer war which I did not know existed.... I will keep you all informed, and with more pictures where possible ;)
vacavala, great to know off another SA on Tnet.... I am afraid that Durban is not the same as it used to be, but hey change is everywhere :o hope to hear more from you.

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread