Snakes, snakes, eveywhere! and buttons too. 5 Buckles!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week was my spring long weekend "vacation" During the course of said vacation I put 1,100 miles on my truck to go to various sites. The Ocean beach was great, I only got 1 coin but it was an 8 Reale Spanish cob. I also got some shells. I was a little disappointed in the shells. There were not many to be found.

Day #2 was a hunt for Civil War items. I was (kind of) worn out from Thursday, so didn't dig very long. I got these buttons.

View attachment IMG_0858.jpg In the photo are two Civil War general service buttons, a NY cuff with most of the gold on it, the face to a Union Staff officer's button which has seen it's better day, it's hard to make out. And lastly the back off an eagle button. NO bullets this weekend.

Day #3 was another hunt at a Civil War and later site. There was an enormous amount of trash there. Some buckles of various sorts have been produced there in the past, but the past is the past.

We arrived at 10 am and dug with a coupe other tnetters till 4 pm. Then drove the 10 billion miles home! At least it felt that way.

We found all kinds of things, most dating to the Civil War and thereafter, although one of our group dug a NY State Button and I believe one of my buckles is 1830 ish. We found a lot of scrap. And trash.

Towards the end of the day, we moved to a different area and things began to happen. Everybody resorted to digging holes, I just kept having on and checking some new areas. I got into one small area and got these buckles all in fairly close proximity to one another. View attachment IMG_0863.jpg View attachment IMG_0864.jpg View attachment IMG_0865.jpg

Two - yes- that's two - Civil War snake buckles, a big, heavy generic brass buckle, a thin stamped brass buckle with a sailboat on it. If anyone has any idea what this is for, please let me know. It may be non military and lastly an iron buckle, fairly lightweight. If you notice carefully the two snake buckles are different types. One is a single headed snake the other a double headed one. Guess it couldn't make up it's mind. :laughing7:

It was a fun day with some fun folks. At that point everyone was looking for the snakes. Two more snake buckles were found. I also gave another digger a trade for one. He had dug a some previously.

As we were leaving, I spotted a garter snake, the live kind, on the ground in front of me, which was interesting as there are still a lot of patches of snow left. So I called out snake! and everyone was looking at the ground for a buckle! The little girl's friend was a couple feet away, (she was bigger), they were at the entrance to their underground lair. No, we didn't hurt them. No, I had left my camera in the car.

Can I say the Deus sucks snakes out of the ground? Or at least eagles! I might want to clean them so more, but there really isn't any real value in doing that. The snake buckles are made of brass. View attachment IMG_0859.jpg View attachment IMG_0860.jpg View attachment IMG_0861.jpg View attachment IMG_0862.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 50

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very awesome, love seeing what you manage to pull out of the dirt. I would faint if I found something as good as those. You sure do make that deus work like it should. I don't have to hunt as hard as you do to be totally shot but it is hard to quit at times. don't ever slow down, it gets harder and harder to get going again. The wife says that you rock!

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the very nice finds! Looks like a nice vacation spent enjoying the detector & outdoors!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding hunt

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. NOW....what would you use to reduce the green and crud on the brass? The buckles were cemented in odd positions by iron at first, the iron for the most part is gone now, but the buckles still look a little grungy.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet finds!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrappy, Steve said he did get one.

suntannedgem

Jan 29, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Pro with 9.5", 12" & Super Sniper coils, Garrett Treasure Hound Deep Depth Multiplier, Garrett Pin Pointer Pro II, Bounty Hunter Legacy 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds. I am going to be hunting in North Carolina this fall. As a newbie I have to ask this as it has been on my mind. Are Civil War relics at any average depth? Nice, can't wait to find myself heads down butt up in A relic dig!:hello2:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some Killer Snakes!!!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought you didn't like snakes.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We actually saw the two live snakes while we were out, as mentioned. There's just something plain wrong about some snow lying on the ground and snakes out frolicking.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's creepy. Ha ha, pun intended.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, the place was kinda creepy. Felt like you were being watched the whole time.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two snake buckles in a day is amazing. I will be happy to find my first one. Spanish silver is always a great find too; legal tender here for 250 years and only suffered 4% inflation over the whole period! Maybe we ought to go back to silver money. Thanks for posting some great finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread