Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, haven't posted in a while.

We were out detecting an area where Roman activity was suspected.

DISCLAIMER
THESE OBJECTS ARE GOING TO BE DONATED TO THE MUSEUM
(TO PREVENT PROBLEMS IF PEOPLE DO NOT READ THE WHOLE POST AND JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS)

So it was my third time out with the DEUS light V4.0.
So far I am pretty happy with the machine, light and fast. My main complaint for now would be that it falses a lot on Iron, even if the Iron is not too deep and also on medium sized Iron which is not so big, so well I guess I need more experience.

Anyway this day I was using the deep program because here anything might turn up and the area was rather clear.
Glad I did.
And also glad the Deus fooled me with a high tone on an iron object because the first good find of the day was a Roman Age Iron spear tip.
(Not yet fully established if it is Roman or Dacian)
29748798_10215763727156636_1134200825_o.jpg

Later that day I found 2 bronze age axe heads.
Both were very deep, one about 30cm and the other even deeper about 40cm so I can not complain about the Deus depth with 11" coil deep program.
29747016_10215763726476619_1584355913_o.jpg

The small one is actually only the blade of the axe without the shaft and looks like t has been broken for earth sacrifice the other one is very very corroded. Still awesome to hold something that has been in the ground for 3000-4000 years.
tf32441_beil-typologie-53.jpg (Thanks Lu for the pic)

One seems to be a "Flachbeil" the other a longer "Randleistenbeil" sorry I do not know the English terms for these and the internet gives conflicting info about them, they are different types of Axes which continuously evolved during different periods in the bronze axe..

29693187_10215763726756626_337044833_o.jpg 2018_0328_194239_003.JPG
2018_0328_194356_009.JPG
Unfortunately I can not show the full beauty of the spear which is in very good condition because I have not even washed the dirt off of it.
This is because as an iron find it needs to be immediately conserved with vinegar and Salt and distilled water after washing in order to prevent it from crumbling apart.

Since I will be donating these objects to the local history museum I will not do the preservation myself I am hoping they have professional restaurateurs who will do a nice job.
The spear will have a nice black color some day then hopefully.

2018_0328_194219_002.JPG
Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Upvote 39

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Words for me cannot describe just how awestruck I am on this side of the screen. They must send shivers to hold in person. Congrats to you for finding them!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, very awesome finds, yes, one would hope for a great preservation job on them. they should be superb additions to the museum.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That Roman spear looks amazing.
Banner find
Congrats

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds.

What are the settings on the ''11" coil deep program'' ?

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good with the new detector and the new site! Big congrats, amazing finds with the spear tip being my favorite find. Rare to get an iron artefact this old in this condition. Hope it doesn't corrode away whilst waiting for restoration in the museum.
To help with the terms on the axe heads: The earlier type "Flachbeil" is simply a flat axe and the "Randleistenbeil" is a flanged axe. Hard to believe that the flat axe, a type we use still today, marks the beginning of the evolution and ends with a socketet axe which looks not very modern in our eyes today.
Great finds Ben! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds.

What are the settings on the ''11" coil deep program'' ?

Hey Cru,
Deep in V4.0 is

2 Tones,
8 Khz
Reactivity 2
Ground 88
Silencer -1
Disc 5.5
Sensitivity 90

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Cru,
Deep in V4.0 is

2 Tones,
8 Khz
Reactivity 2
Ground 88
Silencer -1
Disc 5.5
Sensitivity 90
OK, I've held off upgrading to 4, so still on 3.2, which I like too much to change.

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the ancient finds. I vote banner on the awesome spearhead. It's a beauty.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to try to express myself as best I can and hope it comes off well.

Over here in the States, we have our Revolutionary War finds and Civil War finds, and a lot of what we (well, other people, not me) find from those periods are astonishing, beautiful, banner worthy pieces of American treasure. They're tangible though, ya know? We're pulling up Civil War aged coins left and right. Probably a colonial era something in "today's finds" right now.

When I opened this page and saw a Roman spear tip? Good lord. I let out an audible gasp.

Or when I see the Viking or Saxon items posted.

I can only speak for myself, but the finds you guy grace us with are beyond incredible. A Roman spear tip? A ROMAN SPEAR TIP (Roman coins, a viking brooch, Celtic gold, etc...)

These are items that you see in books or portrayed on television... That's it. They're just a thing in a book that took place a billion years ago. They're in that weird "I assume it happened" place in my brain. The idea of digging up such an amazing piece of HUMAN history is just so beyond my scope, that I don't even have the proper words.

I truly want to thank you for sharing such an amazing item with me. I hope it gets the preservation it deserves and I hope you get to see it prominently displayed and feel proud that you donated it for the rest of the world to see. Congratulations.

-Jay

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing ! Congrats on your finds, and its very nice that you are donating them to a museum. Banner from me !

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds. Thanks for sharing and good luck on finding more.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one type of thing we can never expect to uncover here in the u.s. however we still have lots of gold still to be found.

OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to try to express myself as best I can and hope it comes off well.

Over here in the States, we have our Revolutionary War finds and Civil War finds, and a lot of what we (well, other people, not me) find from those periods are astonishing, beautiful, banner worthy pieces of American treasure. They're tangible though, ya know? We're pulling up Civil War aged coins left and right. Probably a colonial era something in "today's finds" right now.

When I opened this page and saw a Roman spear tip? Good lord. I let out an audible gasp.

Or when I see the Viking or Saxon items posted.

I can only speak for myself, but the finds you guy grace us with are beyond incredible. A Roman spear tip? A ROMAN SPEAR TIP (Roman coins, a viking brooch, Celtic gold, etc...)

These are items that you see in books or portrayed on television... That's it. They're just a thing in a book that took place a billion years ago. They're in that weird "I assume it happened" place in my brain. The idea of digging up such an amazing piece of HUMAN history is just so beyond my scope, that I don't even have the proper words.

I truly want to thank you for sharing such an amazing item with me. I hope it gets the preservation it deserves and I hope you get to see it prominently displayed and feel proud that you donated it for the rest of the world to see. Congratulations.

-Jay

Thanks for your very cool reply, I feel very privileged to be able to hunt in Europe.
When I find something very old I usually pause a minute and just pay my "inner respect" and think of the people who crafted and used those items..
I went to the Museum today and donated the artifacts, they said their "laboratory" will take care of the restoration, so I hope they are in good hands.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THATS GETTING TO THE POINT. NICE SUGGESTION AND FIND.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread