First hunt with new Equinox 800

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally had a chance in between work and family to get out this evening after staring at the new machine sitting on the table for a few days now.

I figured going to my local school grounds would be good to hit at first to learn some coin sounds and be able to dig enough different targets to learn id's ect. Well, the Minelab did not disappoint one bit! I had the machine set up like dirt fisher showed in his youtube video for coin hunting.

Ended up with 4 bux in clad and a couple buttons plus an older looking copper ring. I've never dug 12 nickels in one hunt in my life but this thing crushes them on id! Only got skunked 3 times out of 12 and they were pencil eraser ends that were very weak and a noticeably different signal. I noticed most of the clad quarters that were dug were very corroded and seamed to be masked in a way. Been over this spot with my F75 and Tejon before this.

Definitely have no clue what I'm doing with this machine yet but it was surprisingly very fun to use! I really like the feel of the unit with the arm strap too. Debating on weather to take it out tomorrow on a group hunt since I'm still learning the very basics. I guess there's only one way to learn!

Thanks for looking and good luck all!

20180330_215735.jpg

Upvote 13

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you did pretty good. You will get a clue after time. :occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the other hand, I don't think I have a clue anymore. Went to the Dr today, and they said pay at the front desk and why do you walk real funny? Here, have a CAT SCAN!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More toys! Looks like you have a decision to make early tomorrow morning. The parking spot is central to the dots we will be hitting, so you could bring multiple machines if you want.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More toys! Looks like you have a decision to make early tomorrow morning. The parking spot is central to the dots we will be hitting, so you could bring multiple machines if you want.

That is great! Thanks for the heads up.....and dang we need to get some shut eye! Lol. See ya in the AM.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Each time I hear good reviews it makes me what to pull the trigger. Disappointed with my Max it’s going up on the chopping block and keeping the F75. I’ll have that Equinox soon. Congratulations on a good learning hunt.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Each time I hear good reviews it makes me what to pull the trigger. Disappointed with my Max it’s going up on the chopping block and keeping the F75. I’ll have that Equinox soon. Congratulations on a good learning hunt.

Thanks Truth. Sorry to hear about the max. It seemed like you were pulling some good, deep targets out with it before. Really don't want to go through the learning curve with a new machine but there's so many things you can tweak it should be a blast.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice report VDI. Congrats on your maiden voyage with the Equinox. Mine should be showing up in April.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread