Weird nickle day !!!

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to a totlot today and there was no lack of targets but it was very obvious after a bit that someone had recently hunted the area using high discrimination. I did manage a few other coins but mainly nickles and zinc pennys. I rarely find more nickles than dimes but today was an exception. The Quest Pro gives a solid signal on nickles especially using 20Khz. The park is a newer park so not much chance of silver coins here but I am trying target rich areas to learn my new machine. 20180418_172832.jpg

Upvote 13

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if they skipped nickle's likely they missed gold as well --the silver they likely got if high grading

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never discriminate Nickels out. You never know when that Buffalo, V, or Shield will show up. Of course those aren't likely to be found in tot lots either. A lot of people will adjust their detectors to "site specific" circumstances.

OP
OP
pescadore

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job on the nickels,,
Congratulations

tn_coin_assortment.gif
Nice finds pescadore! Thanks for sharing...

Thank you very much !!

if they skipped nickle's likely they missed gold as well --the silver they likely got if high grading

That is so true. Especially in totlots, I don't skip nickle's or zincs. I have found gold in both catagories.

I never discriminate Nickels out. You never know when that Buffalo, V, or Shield will show up. Of course those aren't likely to be found in tot lots either. A lot of people will adjust their detectors to "site specific" circumstances.

I always dig nickle signals and like finding them. I have never dug a Shield Nickel and it is definitely on my bucket list.

Nice haul. Congrats!

Thank you very much and I appreciate you commenting.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your day hunting produced a bunch of nickles,and it does appear that someone has skimmed off all the quarters.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the nickles...where there is nickle signals; gold may be hiding! :occasion14:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
gold can be found in tot lots -- often at the foot of the slides (along with a few coins)--children often at the foot of the slide reach up to their moms neck area and grab their gold or silver chains popping them ...around the swings are another good spot --as children often jump out of the swings --the jarring landing spot can often have coins thrown out of pockets and loose jewelry that flies off --- the third sweet spot is the area under the monkey bars...kids flip up side down and gravity empties their pockets ...this is why in tot lots --it should be (nickles = gold in)

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Weird or lucky? Always great to find a knuckle full of nickels!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
pescadore

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your day hunting produced a bunch of nickles,and it does appear that someone has skimmed off all the quarters.

Yes, it became evident pretty quick.
Nice job on the nickles...where there is nickle signals; gold may be hiding! :occasion14:

I would gladly take some gold !!!

gold can be found in tot lots -- often at the foot of the slides (along with a few coins)--children often at the foot of the slide reach up to their moms neck area and grab their gold or silver chains popping them ...around the swings are another good spot --as children often jump out of the swings --the jarring landing spot can often have coins thrown out of pockets and loose jewelry that flies off --- the third sweet spot is the area under the monkey bars...kids flip up side down and gravity empties their pockets ...this is why in tot lots --it should be (nickles = gold in)

All my favorite places too !!

Weird or lucky? Always great to find a knuckle full of nickels!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

I love finding nickels that others leave or miss.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's A lot of digging.Congrats on a good day. :thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take what you can get :thumbsup:
years ago - a few machines out there were not picking up war nickels good
I hit an old school and was doing great - some one found out and bunch of guys ran in and hammered it
a guy told me it was not worth me going back - I went back and place was peppered - pee'd me off
cause they left grass a mess too. About all I found was 7 war time nickels - for some reason the machines
they were using were not reading them well - I hunt all metal most of the time - so I got them

OP
OP
pescadore

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take what you can get :thumbsup:
years ago - a few machines out there were not picking up war nickels good
I hit an old school and was doing great - some one found out and bunch of guys ran in and hammered it
a guy told me it was not worth me going back - I went back and place was peppered - pee'd me off
cause they left grass a mess too. About all I found was 7 war time nickels - for some reason the machines
they were using were not reading them well - I hunt all metal most of the time - so I got them

Some machines just don't do as well as others at identifying them for some reason. Frequency that the detector is working on I am sure plays a part. I hunt in 20 Khz with the Quest Pro and it slams nickels and ID's them very well.

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone skimmed over the gold and nickels for sure...you've found the nickels...now go back and get the gold.. hehe. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread