May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried this new field today because it was available this time of year & I could cycle there. Rang up the owner & its just about dry enough to roll it flat this evening, so it maybe drilled tomorrow which is another reason to do it.

I wandered the whole field looking for hotspots & did some lose gridding as the conditions were rough. It was very trashy & I can't cross it off the list yet as I did see some Medieval & Roman Pot Shards, 1 large Roman Nail, but not enough old lead bits (only 3) to be a site.

All finds were 18th/19th/20th C, apart from a lead spindal whorl that might be either Roman or Medieval.:dontknow:

2.5 hrs;

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While watching either the "Victorian Farm" or "Edwardian Farm" BBC historical documentary series, the reenactors picked up some shards from a field and it was explained that horse manure and other street sweepings were regularly carted from the cities out to the farms to be spread on the fields. It seems that you find interesting buttons and other bits that seem a bit too plentiful to be purely from losses out in the field, so I was wondering if you have some thoughts or insight about the practice and if you think some of your prize buttons or Victorian gold/silver coins were lost in city streets, then scooped up and shipped to enrich the fields you hunt?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You really hit the curious finds lottery on that hunt!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While watching either the "Victorian Farm" or "Edwardian Farm" BBC historical documentary series, the reenactors picked up some shards from a field and it was explained that horse manure and other street sweepings were regularly carted from the cities out to the farms to be spread on the fields. It seems that you find interesting buttons and other bits that seem a bit too plentiful to be purely from losses out in the field, so I was wondering if you have some thoughts or insight about the practice and if you think some of your prize buttons or Victorian gold/silver coins were lost in city streets, then scooped up and shipped to enrich the fields you hunt?

Yeap.
Sometimes the finds have travelled to the fields they farm. Which is why I say its NOT a Site. This can be because its random loss &/or dumping on a field that is farmed. This field is within the Roman Administrative Boundary, so was used in that period & later!

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some very nice finds!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You always get cool stuff! [emoji2][emoji106]

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Some times rare colonial coins made their way back to Britain in the 19h century. Adelaide 1852 gold pound token is worth over a million dollars . Makes roman coin look like worthless crap. TP

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Some times rare colonial coins made their way back to Britain in the 19h century. Adelaide 1852 gold pound token is worth over a million dollars . Makes roman coin look like worthless crap. TP
As worthless crap is history to me it makes no difference. An 1852 gold pound token is not classified as treasure so at least I could sell it & give half to the farmer. Its only the expensive stuff that I can't afford to share that gets sold because like I said before its not about the money.
There are thousands of objects & coins from the 19th C I wouldn't mind finding but this day wasn't it.

Last edited:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions