Hunting an Old Farm Field with My Daughter (Also a Chinese Coin ID Needed)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

Today my daughter and I decided to hunt an old farm field to pass sometime in the beautiful 61 degree temperature. I was using the AT Pro and she was using the Minelab X-terra 705 both machines “running hot” and wide open. We found a few pieces of old jewelry, 1944 Wheat Cent and a 1944 Mercury Dime; my daughter found the only silver today. The other cool find was a Chinese coin (slightly larger than a nickel), I’m hoping someone (Don…etc.) can ID the coin. Another great find was the beautiful ornate button with the enamel and shank still intact. One of the jewelry pieces has the head of a roman (?) on it the other is a religious medal with Blessed Mary on the front. The holed Rectangle piece is interesting (3/4”L X 1/2”w X 3/16” thick) as has the writing: REMY Security pat. 1916, clay marble and a few other interesting relics.

Thank you for looking.

GL & HH

Doc

04_22_2018 China 1.jpg 04_22_2018 Mecury 2.jpg

Mercury Dime and Wheat Cent both 1944

04_22_2018 Mercury 1.jpg 04_22_2018 China 2.jpg 04_22_2018 China 3.jpg

Need some help with the Chinese Coin ID

04_22_2018 Ornate Button.jpg

Beautiful enamel Button with shank

04_22_2018 Old Jewelry.jpg 04_22_2018 Misc Stuff.jpg

Old Jewelry and Miscellaneous Goodies

Upvote 12

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent hunt! I really like the enamel button. Congratulations on a good day.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...great hunt...love that button. The cash coin is 1797...cant remember the dynasty right now but I have a couple. It's a nice one too!

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank You Romeo-1 for the Date information! :icon_thumleft:

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Your Chinese Cash Coin :
To read the hanzi ( Han characters ) rotate the coin 90 degrees to the right. Top & bottom read reign and emperor- Tao-kwang, Emperor Wen Tsung 1851-1861
Side to side characters read something like Official genuine coin of the Realm.
Reverse: Left character is mint- Boo Yuan or Peking, right character says issued by Board of Public Works.
It is a common type, but still a very interesting find.
The square hole in the center of these coins was made to put the freshly cast coins on a square rod so the edge could be filed to smooth the spur where the hot metal filled the mold. Early cash coins had a round center hole, but eventually the mint workers figured out that the coins would take more time to get the edges smoothed because the coins with the round center hole would spin on a round rod. I used to collect the darn things, but I learned they will make you crazier than you already are when you try to identify a couple of hand fulls of them. With type of the late 1790's the lower character is much more complex for the Emperor Jen Tsung (1796-1820).
These were made for centuries by the barrels. There were higher values than one cash, but imagine buying your groceries, or anything else for that matter, with pennies !

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a good time with your daughter! My oldest son used to hunt with me, now he's 17 and only hunts for girls LOL

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Wagbert,

Thank you for the detailed reply and informative post about the coin.

Best Regards,

GL & HH

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread