GW flat button

QuickQuestion

May 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George Washington inaugural flat button

* disclaimer - new to this site, I posted this thread elsewhere in the forum but was likely in the wrong spot haha, my apologies! (This still may be the wrong section too, I’m a mess)

Greetings!

I do not detect myself, and I apologize if there is a better section to post this in. Please feel free to merge/lock if need be.

Anyway, I recently allowed someone to detect on family property which is very old. They found 6 flat buttons all together from the 1700s. Two, I am told, are George Washington inaugural flat buttons. I allowed the person to keep 4 (including one of the GW buttons), and I kept two (the other GW and a regular one).

The one I allowed them to keep is in better shape than mine. But hey, nice guy and I never would have found them otherwise.

My question is - should I attempt to clean mine, or let it be? If I do clean it, what are some safe methods, or am I better off having a professional do it? I’ve tried to google on the topic but I didn’t come across anyone that specifically advertises that specific service.

I will try to add a picture, I’m posting on my phone so we’ll see if I can figure that out.

I appreciate any feedback

Attachments

• EDC53DF4-B926-40F0-A733-2BBC1FF69BDD.jpeg
    EDC53DF4-B926-40F0-A733-2BBC1FF69BDD.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Upvote 8

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are indeed George Washington Inaugural buttons. If you decide to clean them, use caution. First, just water. Second buy a set of the "andre's pencils" advertised here and on Ebay and elsewhere. You can clean them a micron at a time and have control of what you clean. Do not use electrolysis or chemicals of any kind, they are too rough on the metal.

OP
OP
Q

QuickQuestion

May 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Someone told me to use peroxide, and while I have no knowledge on the topic it didn’t seem right to me. Figured I would ask a larger group.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would like to say welcome to treasurenet. Thanks for giving permission to someone to detect on your property and for allowing that person to keep some of his finds. I’m sure it made his day and yours better.

OP
OP
Q

QuickQuestion

May 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would like to say welcome to treasurenet. Thanks for giving permission to someone to detect on your property and for allowing that person to keep some of his finds. I’m sure it made his day and yours better.

It was the right thing to do! He’ll be coming back, there’s still a lot he wasn’t able to get to.

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be aware that GW buttons can be very valuable. I wouldn't clean it at all except with water and a very, very light brush. Great find. I found one myself in my own backyard. Estimated value - 5-10k.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice button. I would let someone see the button in person to get a better idea of how to clean it. It is very easy to ruin them. Good luck!

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto what Hanks88 said. We would all be out of luck if we didn’t have landowners like you. Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread