Back at the old "lost" dock - old silver ring, Chinese bronze, and knowledge

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back at the old "lost" dock - old silver ring, Chinese bronze, and knowledge

A little follow-up to my original post (found here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...nally-found-lost-dock-7-silvers-one-hour.html )

The old dock location continues to give up the goods. I am up over 20 silver coins there now and have found silver every time, but my strategy has changed from rampage-cherry-picking to slow, methodical gridding. This is a huge learning experience for me and has been a real joy. I'm starting to see patterns with the distribution of drops and gaining important knowledge of how these types of rocky shores work. It's making sense and that will hopefully prove invaluable on future endeavors on similar shorelines. It it also nice to take a break from laborious dirt-digging and I am finding this place to be very therapeutic for the mind.

Yesterday I took my neighbor and his son there to help me grid. I recently got them into metal detecting, but they weren't quite hooked... until yesterday. They found their first Barber dime and found a sweet old bronze Chinese coin, likely from the 1700's or 1800's. If anyone can ID the year or mint of this coin, that would be fantastic. The usual Google images show lots of similar coins but no exact matches.

Chinese-Bronze.jpg

I had some good finds too. A 1904 Barber, a very old silver ring on the surface, an old copper naval button surface find, and some other relics that are helping to tell the story of the dock and it's patrons. 50% of the time is spent on clearing lead fishing sinkers, but it must be done.

Silver-Ring-Dock.jpg

Copper-Button-Dock.jpg

This poor roached 1904 Barber. Interestingly, there is a wide variation in the condition of silver coins here. Some are bright and detailed, some are thin, almost black, and fragile. I know you can clean them, but for some reason, I love them as-found.

1904-Barber.jpg

I also have to give a plug to the Equinox. This machine has been an absolute pleasure out here. It is quiet and accurate, though I have a feeling I will be going through several skid plates this year thanks to razor sharp barnacles! HH!

Upvote 9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread