TOWcritter Finds A Meteorite! FLASH!???

TOWcritter

I went to my mill site today intending to find a privy hole. Well it rained 2 inches yesterday so I figured it would be fairly easy. Look at all the depressions on the ground and take your pick, so to speak. I spotted a likely looking spot about 3 feet in circumference and swung the MXT around it and found a well used horseshoe at about 8 inches deep. My 1st from this site. Then I started getting some strange readings. I have never gotten a solid 0 on my VDI. I thought it was a bit weird. I pulled up these 5 stones. They all read a SOLID 0 on my screen and sounded off like a coin. All the same. All were only 1/2 inch buried in the ground and when I picked them up, they weighed almost nothing. Almost like lava rock of some sort. When I got home I took a stiff bristle brush to the two in front and cleaned them up. The inner side(I assume) had alot of small silver colored globule looking thingys on them. They were a dark black color and they sort of go together like they broke apart. Anyway, what I think it is is a meteorite. Jeff, I posted here because I found it today. I'll move it to the meteorite thread if you want me to. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,.

Attachments

• P3290351 (Small).JPG
    P3290351 (Small).JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 414
  • P3290350 (Small).JPG
    P3290350 (Small).JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 419
  • P3290344 (Small).JPG
    P3290344 (Small).JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 411
Upvote 0

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Meteorites would be heavy for there size. I'd cut one in half, if it looks silvery then you might have a firepit find. Aluminum slag. Melted beer can or aluminum window frame. I'm guessing a magnet doesn't stick to it, does it? One test you can do is the streak test. Flip the cover on the back of your toilet tank and try to leave a streak. If its a meteorite it shouldn't streak. Swiz

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
You said the pieces kinda fit together? Can you try to put it together and post another pic? I would also post this in the meteorite thread as well. Those guys will prove or disprove it one way or another. Swiz

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice site you are hunting and a few nice finds! Unfortunately, the rocks are probably volcanic pumic type rock. My XLT finds them a lot especially when they are really wet, like you described, it rained 2". I toss them into my junk bag then throw them away like I would a piece of foil. Did you dig down a little over that possible outhouse depression?, wouldn't the targets be deep, probably beyond a detector without digging. I've heard you should dig until the soil darkens a bit then start looking for tomatoe seeds. HH, Mike

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Tow, I think what you must have are droppings from when an alien visted the out house long ago ;D
Strange finds.HH

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ive never found a meteorite, but an area in my town called jeptha knobbs was formed by one hitting the earth millions of years ago. its the highest point in kentucky west of the appalachian mountains.

O

ozzysdad

Bauxite has those kind of small silver balls in it, I used to find alot of it when i lived in Little Rock, Bauxite is a chief ore of Aluminun...? not sure where your located? I have read the best place to find meteorite's is along old fence line's around fields. Farmer's used to put them by the fence post's to keep them from getting in the way of plowing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions