Quick hunt turns up wheat and almost a trip to the hospital!!!

besthobbyever

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2007
Kingsport, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Went out for a quick hunt this morning at a local school. Spent most of my time around the ball field where I found most of my clad. Was only out for an hour and a half so did not do to bad. Found a total of $2.46 in clad, a Magic City Token from Gurnee, IL and a 1944 Wheat which has a funny story to it. I had moved up to the play ground which I had prviously covered a couple weeks ago. I decided to go over next to the basketball court where I picked up a good dime signal with the Ace 250. I began to cut through the sod which was crab grass. Let me explain this in case you do not have this where you are. The crab grass has lots of thick roots that are tangled together and very thick. It is hard as a devil to cut through! I was cutting with what I thought was my dull knife when you guessed it, my knife slipped, and right into my finger it went. OUCH! I said a few bad words and then checked out the damage. I decided I would live so I went back to finish what I started. The coin was in the sod which I had to tear apart because the roots was so thick. As I bled and pulled apart the roots, out popped a penny. I thought, I nearly cut my finger off for a dang penny!!! Then I thought, but it came up under a dime, could it be....... yes it was, a 1944 wheat. This surprised me because the school I was hunting is not that old. I felt a lot better after seeing that and thought the cut was worth it, LOL! I rechecked the signal after the coin was on the surface and still was coming up under a dime. I researched a coin site that I use and found that in 1944 and 1945, the wheat penny was made of some zink and other materials which is probably why the dime signal. I thought the other Ace 250 users might like to know this though. Had my Ace 250 for only a few weeks and already up to $17.50 in clad and 10 wheats!!!

Attachments

• metal detecting 010.jpg
    metal detecting 010.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 427
  • metal detecting 013.jpg
    metal detecting 013.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 433
  • metal detecting 016.jpg
    metal detecting 016.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 433
  • metal detecting 017.jpg
    metal detecting 017.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 426
Upvote 0

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Thanks for the info about the wheat penny.

Watch out for sharp aluminum can shreds and rusty iron too! There's plenty of things to cut yourself on.

Glad you're ok!

Ridley

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
I always wear gardening or industrial gloves, the kind that have rubber palm and finger areas and nylon fabric on the rest. They have saved me many times from getting cut from slips of the knife or sharps in the hole, plus my hands stay somewhat clean. A wise $4 investment.
Glad the coin was at least a good one, congrats. Best of luck to you.

Smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• Gloves.jpg
    Gloves.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 400
  • Gloves.jpg
    Gloves.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 400

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice finds and yep watch that knife ! congrats ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread