I'm Glad That I Got That Crazy Notion Out Of The Way

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last night I looked around the room and came to the conclusion that I have way too many detectors. It's time to thin the herd some. After some thought I decided to sell my Teknetics Omega 8000 version 6. I was getting ready to take the wrappings off the handle and remove the display screen protective cover and give it nice cleaning before taking some pictures of it. Well I got busy last night doing something else and I never got around to doing it.

This morning when I was loading up the detectors to go detecting, I decided to take the Omega since I never got around to removing everything on it last night. In the past every time that I sold one of my Omega detectors I ended up buying another one. Seller's remorse!

I decided go back and hit the pounded site again, the one where I found the gold ring. I set the Omega up in 4 tones, 0 discrimination, full sensitivity and after ground balancing I manually lowered the GB numbers by 5 points. It was around 6:30 when I started my grid search pattern.

It didn't take long before I got my search coil over a 1964 Rosie dime. It wasn't all that deep, but it had some rusty iron in the hole with it. The Omega was running super smooth and doing its thing, finding silver. It loves silver! I read that the Omega is Dave Johnson's favorite detector that he engineered.

My next silver coin find was a 1942 Mercury dime. It had some depth to it and I knew before I even dug that it was going to be a silver coin because I was getting high ID numbers and the Omega was giving that sweet soft high audio tone.

I fooled around and found 3 deep wheat pennies with the Omega, a 1917, a 1926 and a 1934. A couple of them where just on the edge of detection. I was getting a high audio tone, but some iron grunts were starting to break through. With the small 10 inch elliptical concentric search coil 7 inches on a wheat penny is pushing it. 8 inches on a dime and 9 inches or so on a quarter. With the large 11 inch DD coil you can pick up about 2 more inches in depth.

Anyway I ended up swinging my Deus and MXT Pro for awhile before leaving, but I didn't have nearly as much as I did when I was swinging the Omega. I'm going to hang onto the Omega, because I know if I sell it I'll end up buying another one. At 10:15 I called it a day and headed for the house.

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    765.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2279.JPG
    757.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2280.JPG
    IMG_2280.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2281.JPG
    IMG_2281.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2282.JPG
    IMG_2282.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 25
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coins! :occasion14:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice old coins! :occasion14:
Thanks! I'll probably hit it again tomorrow with a little help from Aleve. I have the 6 inch search coil hooked up the CTX. There just has to be a Barber in there somewhere. I just hope that it's cloudy tomorrow and not full sunshine.

tabman

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it was talking to ya. Have a old F75 that just kills it, still think its deeper than my Etrac. Im trying to upgrade but can not turn loose of machines. Each one bought for a purpose.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Sometimes I think even the lowly beep and go's are still the best. VDI's have been known to lie to me. Had a nickel signal in a stupid farm field and pulled out a 14k ring. In the middle of nowhere.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Love the area you live in for metal detecting. Your options are endless!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just can't have too many detectors mate! Especially one adept at finding silver! Congrats on the nice finds and wise decision to keep it! :icon_thumleft: :occasion14:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know a old girl who uses a outback and she cleans the parks when she visits. You have to love hunts like that.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of digger is that??

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of digger is that??

It's A 18 x 2" Inch Long Handle Wilcox Hand Trowel Digging Tool. I added the T-handle with some pvc pipe fittings and JB-Weld.

tabman

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, how's it work out for You? Pros cons?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread