3 page note found in 2 jars 10 inches deep at Quarry Hill woods.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Note in Jar 6-2-2018 019.JPG Note in Jar 6-2-2018 020.JPG Note in Jar 6-2-2018 021.JPG Note in Jar 6-2-2018 024.JPG Note in Jar 6-2-2018 001.JPG Note in Jar 6-2-2018 002.JPG Note in Jar 6-2-2018 004.JPG Note in Jar 6-2-2018 005.JPG Note in Jar 6-2-2018 007.JPG Note in Jar 6-2-2018 011.JPG Note in Jar 6-2-2018 013.JPG Note in Jar 6-2-2018 003.JPG View attachment 2018 note 001.bmp View attachment 2018 note 002.bmp View attachment 2018 note 003.bmp View attachment 2018 note 004.bmp View attachment 2018 note 005.bmp View attachment 2018 note 006.bmp View attachment 2018 note 007.bmp I went back to Quarry Hill detecting and got a sound that sounded different than any other things i have dug. I was down about 6 inches and i see the bottom of a bottle. I made the hole wider as i thought it might be a nice old bottle and didn't want to break it.The iron lid was on the bottom of the hole around 10 inches deep and that was what i heard.When i broke it apart it was a jar inside a jar. The jar inside was face down near the iron lid with a brown cover that looks like plastic .I put the jar in a plastic bag as i broke it.The metal cap looked like it was stuck to the jar inside and i thought it was some kind of clear resin .Almost looked like wax but it was harder than wax. Bottom of the jar has S.F. on it.The top of jar shows the metal lid is set down inside the jar.See the second jar inside the other jar.And the notes inside it.sheets of paper date starting Saturday 9,January 1926.I'm thinking the note in the bottle i found last year was written by the same person as this note and was about a city block away from the note last year.They were wet and i hosed them off and dried them a little and scanned them.Don"t ask what it means as i don't know anymore than you. Thanks. Just let us know what you think.
Pictures coming soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 11

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We wish we knew

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh boy......here we go again !! Congrats rodgerdoger, cant wait to see this one. I just remember my reaction to the other one....this should be good !!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting piece of history, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It must have some significance if someone took all that effort to try and preserve them

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are some incredible related finds from a large area over a block away--what are the odds? Makes you wonder how many more of these were buried in that area. These notes mention some of the same names and settings but introduce more characters and settings, e.g. the Ford plant. These notes are much less coherent to the point I believe they are the delusional writings of a mental patient who somehow was able to bury these jars. Did someone say that some of the patients worked in the quarry? Here he mentions "Crazy Joe Holets" who is mentioned only as Joe Holets in the other note. Here he also mentions the Mayo's Hospital--was there one in the area. Really enjoyed reading both threads regarding these amazing and bizarre finds. Hope you locate more of them. Now I need to go back over the other thread. Do you still have these in your possession? I'm fascinated!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are several more pieces to the puzzle here with this note by same author as OP Banner find.

Here's my best effort at a transcription of these pages. Any add'l help in decyphering or searching names/locations of Ford plant etc is greatly appreciated.

[Calendar page: Tuesday 12 January 1926]
Aug 5, 1937
Ford car company of 1894

Me in school
in Monroe (Monroe Township, Cedar Rapids, Linn County, IA?)
Cedar Rapids
Ia (Iowa)
work with
Henry Ford
there all time
so they get a
autto (sic) / ford and
how to build it

[Calendar page: Thursday 7 January 1926]
Freddy Lowery
his son Lowery
at this date

ford plant -
him only one
op[en] (?) him so
him drunk fired
him
he Betty (Batty?) Low calf
1897 put Lowrey there

[Calendar page: Saturday 9 January 1926]
Lowery ford
calf robber
of 1895 - 96
crazy Joe Holets
robed (sic) me for
him
Lowery
Just a
c____ robber
as they told him
in church 1903

[Calendar page: Sunday 10 January 1926]
Lowery Boss
him now a
Job for his son
and for him
too
that was no
too Head nurse
wanted a job for
his daughter him
and there be a
Lowery there and
for his son too
ford plant

[Calendar page: Monday 11 January 1926]
N.B. that this entry in different hand appears to be contemporary with the calendar date regarding work performed by employees of hospital.

Barnes + Hong on Duty
Painting of pavilion
___ created (?) Inf (informal?) dining Room

[Calendar page: Monday 11 January 1926 (upside-down due to existing entry)]
teacher said
alll (sic) ford wanted
to do how to
build it he
never give me
a thing and
let me have a
thing for it only (sic)
rob me f*ck me
with a__g___ so
he could have
the factory

[Calendar page: Friday 6 January 1926 (upside-down)]
old Lady
kook here
same robber in
a cottage too
she her (?) son
again Mayo
Hospital him
and ford the
same Krook (?)
*ss Holes
of 1893

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love a good mystery. Fine job on the transcription, Erik.

Just a quick Google check offers up that there was a 'Joseph L. Holets' (born 1849) on the Minnesota 'Alien Registration Index' for 1918. He’d have been an old geezer in 1926, but his residence was listed as Chatfield, Olmsted which is just 20 miles from Quarry Hill Park.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ford opened an assembly plant and sales office in an old warehouse in Minneapolis, Mn in 1912 and then relocated to the Highland Park area of St. Paul, Mn in 1925.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Such a cool find!!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting notes, but I couldn't have deciphered them without Eric in NJ's input. Liked the comment from Red Coat, too! Thanks.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks RC! We have info (courtesy of Bramblefind) on Joe Holets and his son Aton as well as Josef Zahradnik, Frank Hubachek, and possibly Arty Kendey (looking for info on Barnes & Hong?, Hennessey, and Freddy Lowery (and son) connected to this guy). If you look at the OP's Banner note in a bottle find you can ready another message in a bottle recovered authored by same guy. OP even found a third. More names are mentioned. He's very specific with dates and for the most part fairly accurate. Bottles were found in Rochester, MN near former asylum for inebriated though I estimate the author was close to 60 when these notes were written in 1937/8. Many of the characters are of Czech decent and trace back to Cedar Rapids, Linn County, Iowa to possibly Holets' farm (there is a Ford connection there pre-1900, but have not gotten specifics yet). There was a migration to Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, with this guy ending up in Rochester--probably as an inmate in an asylum. I think he buried scores of these bottles as one guy found three over a wide area (what are the odds?). Check out the OP's other threads and scans of messages. It's an incredible discovery--Depression Era Dead Sea Scrolls .... lol! Fascinating read.

I love a good mystery. Fine job on the transcription, Erik.

Just a quick Google check offers up that there was a 'Joseph L. Holets' (born 1849) on the Minnesota 'Alien Registration Index' for 1918. He’d have been an old geezer in 1926, but his residence was listed as Chatfield, Olmsted which is just 20 miles from Quarry Hill Park.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Fred Lowry (Lowery?), b. 1832 and Mary F Lowery b. 1846, d. 1917, both of Linn Co are part of the puzzle. Anyone have full access to genealogy sites who can provide more info? Esp Fred's occupation ca 1894/5? Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread