Information on a bayonet found by my brother-in-law

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. My brother in law was doing work in his father's yard and stumbled upon this bayonet while digging on the property line. Needless to say, when he was sending me the texts, I was cursing a lot yet also speechless. I must admit, I don't have a lot of knowledge in weapons and was wondering if any of you could help me with some information that I could pass along to him. About all I can tell you is that it was found in central Maine.

He didn't even need a metal detector to find this! I am going up next week for a long weekend. We have a 14 acre wooded lot we were going to start hunting but once he found this, our plans have changed and we are going to search the heck out of his dad's property.

Resized_20180612_223900.jpeg
Resized_20180612_223914.jpeg
Resized_20180612_223926.jpeg
Resized_20180612_223941.jpeg
Resized_20180612_223143.jpeg

I can pass along any questions that would make an identification easier. I work 3pm until the early morning so I don't know when I can get back to check in. Thank you all in advance for any help and happy hunting.

-Jay

Upvote 20

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a "Brown Bess" Bayonet. That is a Banner Find!:hello2:

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a "Brown Bess" Bayonet. That is a Banner Find!:hello2:

That would be incredible if that turns out to be the consensus, Terry. I texted him a research starting point on the Brown Bess and asked how old his parent's property is. They just purchased the house within the last year. It is their retirement lake house but I haven't been there before and don't have many details about the property. I will give more info when I get it! Thank you.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer relic, congratulations! :occasion14:

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy smokes that is cool! I’m eager to see what else y’all pull from that yard.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok... the reason I am taking so long is because this piece is going to require me to actually reference... I was having a bit o trouble and now know why I thought I recognized it.

It REALLY looks like an Enfield type bayonet and why it "looked familiar"... but there are a few odds to it...

BBL.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok again... I am trying to put this one together... its odd because this ALSO resembles the US Springfield Type I C.1798-1805

Which... IF... repeat IF... this is a early Springfield... um... holy moly what a find.

Will be back once again... after dinner.

Guys... get one the search engines... solve this one.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will start looking, looks a little French to me....I need a picture of the side of the blade that would be facing the barrel. Is it flat or........is there a groove.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok again... I am trying to put this one together... its odd because this ALSO resembles the US Springfield Type I C.1798-1805

Which... IF... repeat IF... this is a early Springfield... um... holy moly what a find.

Will be back once again... after dinner.

Guys... get one the search engines... solve this one.

Your right it does resemble one of those, now that I looked, just the length of the channel doesn't match.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not a Brown Bess, that is, an English style. Can you get closer pics of the part that goes on the musket? Both the French and Americans made bayonets that have that style blade to them. The key will be the socket part.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back.

Alum Monster... see if you can rub with a paper towel in these areas and find a mark ... examples in smaller pics.

bayonetm1816ussn.jpg imagesHVOU5LXF.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's British the mark would be on the blade close to the socket.Theres probably a V stamped into it.It was imported,sold to the Confederacy.Its an Enfield bayonet I believe.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Errr I might be wrong though... :P

:)

Anyway... regardless.. he needs to verify with close ups or mark verifications...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the RT (response time)... I had to find a good picture that "summed it up"... :)

EWB-2251-Product.jpg

scarce US M-1795 "Replacement" Bayonet - ?

Last edited:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I agree. I couldn't find anything specific and that led me to believe it was a copy by a local blacksmith that could produce a few things when camped.

After reading what you have found I believe you're correct AARC.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
MY only PROBLEM is the FOURTH picture. It is NOT the same weapon and I have NO idea where it belongs in the scheme of things. Makes me question everything about this post.

The long bayonet looks like my Springfield trap door bayonet I found in a lake a few years ago.

Just being truthful and honest about my thoughts .

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah it’s much shorter. I smell fish

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
MY only PROBLEM is the FOURTH picture. It is NOT the same weapon and I have NO idea where it belongs in the scheme of things. Makes me question everything about this post.

The long bayonet looks like my Springfield trap door bayonet I found in a lake a few years ago.

Just being truthful and honest about my thoughts .

IMHO, it is just an optical illusion that makes the bayonet appear to be different than the one pictured in pics #1 thru #3 and #5. This is due to lighting, the background, the angle that the bayonet is being held and due to the position from where the pic was taken. If the O.P.'s brother-in-law was to provide an almost identical pic of the bayonet but with a tape measure laying along side of the bayonet, it would dispel the questioning.

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
IMHO, it is just an optical illusion that makes the bayonet appear to be different than the one pictured in pics #1 thru #3 and #5. This is due to lighting, the background, the angle that the bayonet is being held and due to the position from where the pic was taken. If the O.P.'s brother-in-law was to provide an almost identical pic of the bayonet but with a tape measure laying along side of the bayonet, it would dispel the questioning.

NOT an illusion. LOOK at the pictures carefully. Totally different weapon. We have a long skinny bayonet and the short wide one. Absolutly IMPOSSIBLE to make one look like the other. Especially where the curve is in reference to the blade. There are TWO completely different weapons pictured here.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT an illusion. LOOK at the pictures carefully. Totally different weapon. We have a long skinny bayonet and the short wide one. Absolutly IMPOSSIBLE to make one look like the other. Especially where the curve is in reference to the blade. There are TWO completely different weapons pictured here.

:/ ?

Same one IMO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread