Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got a day off from my busy schedule today and was super excited to finally get back to digging the 1930's Packard Coupe that is still buried underground. I decided to stop by a local beach first that I have been searching on and off for the past 20 years. I've found alot of stuff at this site and was always suspicious that it contained Native American artifacts (due to the presence of flaked and chipped stones) but NEVER found definitive proof. After 20 minutes of searching on my hands and knees through the gravel, sand, and pebbles I spotted a distinctive shape - the back end of a Native American spear point. I had not been expecting to find anything more than an arrowhead, so the size of the artifact took me by surprise as it was nothing more than a dream for me to actually find something like this. And just like that the dream had come true at last.

It only took 20 years but it finally happened - my first definite non-debatable Native American artifact! Persistence payed off!!

The spear point is made from knapped Obsidian Stone and may be anywhere from 1,000-5,000 years old. It was likely made by a member of the Algonquian Matinicock tribe that once populated Long Island, NY or a tribe of Native Americans that existed before them.

In Situ:
20180619_131117 2.jpg 20180619_131604 2.jpg

Reconstruction on paper of the completed point:

20180619_145932 2.jpg

Shortly after discovery:
20180619_131301 2.jpg 20180619_131804 2.jpg

As the tribe that produced it may have once looked:
Matinecock.jpg
For thousands of years the Matinicock lived on the shores of Long Island where they hunted, fished, and harvested shellfish. In 1656 the Matinicock tribe on Long Island was devastated by an attack by Dutch colonists lead by Thomas Hicks in the Battle of Madnan's Neck. Most of the Matinicock were either killed or fled Long Island after this battle. The few that stayed behind were either driven away or killed by small pox epidemics that were also occurring at this same time.

Last edited:
Upvote 26

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice find. Would have been nicer if not broke, but we sure can't get everything we want.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You found an obsidian point in NY? That's incredible. There is no obsidian in the eastern US that I've ever heard about. It had to have come thousands of miles from the western US. Almost unbelievable. Gary

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is certainly an awesome find and an extremely interesting one for the east coast. If artifacts could talk i'd love to hear that story.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indeed. Obsidian does not occur in the Eastern US so the point had to have come from Idaho or a similar area. We know the natives traded, but that is a long distance call for sure. I found Ohio flint in MD, but nothing from the west. Nice.

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Be interesting to get a hydrolysis analysis done on it and see where the obsidian originated from.....was it found on a beach? definitely has patina on it...

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your find and thanks for the extra information :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found an obsidian point in NY? That's incredible. There is no obsidian in the eastern US that I've ever heard about. It had to have come thousands of miles from the western US. Almost unbelievable. Gary

I never knew that. I've been finding Obsidian in this area quite often. Here is a large piece I found in the same area that I've always assumed was some type of tool, maybe a striker: 20180620_092641.jpg
20180620_094139.jpg

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be interesting to get a hydrolysis analysis done on it and see where the obsidian originated from.....was it found on a beach? definitely has patina on it...

Yes, it was on a beach.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting discovery, congrats! Was the flake/debitage material you found there comprised of different stone or have you found obsidian flakes there as well? If not, then I have a more prosaic idea regarding its origin. As others have stated, it is extremely far away from natural outcrops, so the direct personal experience of myself and the experiences of other bottle dump and privy diggers may shed some light on this. "Back in the day" only the most exceptional Indian artifacts were considered valuable or worthy of serious collecting, so with the supply and availability of common or damaged points being much greater than demand they were often treated as essentially worthless but interesting curiosities; perhaps worth picking up and taking home to look at but not worth taking-up space indefinitely, so they often got tossed and wound-up being deposited along with the rest of the household garbage. I found an awesome cylindrical pestle in a dump, and others have found axes/celts, arrowheads, and I recall seeing a dump digger come across what must have been a little collection of tools/points. Obviously the indians didn't deposit them in such locations, so in your case, considering the vast distance from source material as well as the obvious saturation of the beach with old shards (from dumping garbage), my occam's razor interpretation is that it was discarded in the late 19th century or later, after the railroads made access to western sources much more convenient. I hope I'm wrong as it isn't as exciting of a story, but know what I'd bet my money on.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, I missed your last post, that complicates things!:laughing7: While I've found black slag glass dumped in waterways or used as railroad ballast, to me it isn't easily visually distinguishable from obsidian, so context matters. If you've been finding it quite often it is probably old industrial waste, dumped alongside the household garbage, but I can't prove anything from over here so good luck!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
really nice find how is the coupe coming along

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. It would have been a dandy if it was not broken.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indeed. Obsidian does not occur in the Eastern US so the point had to have come from Idaho or a similar area. We know the natives traded, but that is a long distance call for sure. I found Ohio flint in MD, but nothing from the west. Nice.

I was about to post that it was probably a trade point as well. Very nice and unusual find.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
even though it's broken it is beautiful

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the flake/debitage material you found there comprised of different stone or have you found obsidian flakes there as well?

I have never found any Obsidian flakes, only flint flakes, the few pieces of Obsidian I have found in the area have always surprised me as they seemed out of place. It must have been brought over through trade. The point shows abrasions on it from being in the sand but it may have also been berried in the mud for many years as well, it wouldn't surprise me if the hurricane that struck here in 2012 is what brought it to the surface and it's only been exposed to abrasion by the sand since then, this is all speculation of course.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread