Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a drive thru convenience store nearby and I generally stop once a day. Usually my detector is in the vehicle and several of the clerks have asked to see some of the things I find.........and I oblige them. On Wednesday the owner and mother-in-law of one of the clerks asked me if I would be willing to look for her daughter-in-law's engagement ring. They were having a family gathering the previous Saturday and the ring was lost in the "yard".........

2018 06 22 1 of 5.jpg

This yard is 25 miles south of my hometown and it seemed like a reasonable request. The daughter-in-law met me there and I inquired about her movements during the day and how/where the ring may have been lost. She had taken off 3 rings to put suntan lotion on her oldest and put them in her pocket. And, she had been chased by the same youngster with water balloons during the day. But, she had not fallen or rolled around with her kids while playing. All of this activity had taken place in the side yard................

2018 06 22 2 of 5.jpg

GASP/GULP!!!

The thought that instantly ran through my head was, "This isn't a 'side yard', it's a friggin' football field!". This was not going to be a quick hunt for a ring!! This was the proverbial "needle in the haystack" kind of adventure!! Well, it was a recent drop, we had no rain, so I figured Compadre set just above All Metal with a pointer and a probe and check out all the loud and proud signals that come my way..........
3 hours on Thursday afternoon and 3 hours this afternoon and.............

2018 06 22 3 of 5.jpg
This shot was staged since the ring was just under the grass.

And the happy recipient........of her matching engagement ring to her wedding band..........

2018 06 22 4 of 5.jpg 2018 06 22 5 of 5.jpg

Sorry about the long story/post, but it was a long hunt........with lots of prayers!!

Thanks for lookin' in and good luck to all on your adventures........................

Upvote 30
OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chizzy, you did the right thing which can be a rare thing nowadays...nicely done!

Although I am not a follower of "karma", I do believe word will spread and you will have more chances to help others, and perhaps be given permission to hunt additional sites. Relationships matter, and you payed the bill for a young woman in distress. Again, well done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chizzy, you did the right thing which can be a rare thing nowadays...nicely done!

Although I am not a follower of "karma", I do believe word will spread and you will have more chances to help others, and perhaps be given permission to hunt additional sites. Relationships matter, and you payed the bill for a young woman in distress. Again, well done.

You are very kind to say so, peruna........and, all the best to you too, sir.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You did good! One of my wedding ring hunts turned out more difficult than the people let on. Only five miles from my home, but on a very steep hillside the full width of the house and about 100 feet to the bottom. He owner was throwing off old potted plants when later noticed his ring gone. I hunted for about 2 hours with little results. The hill was covered 100% in English ivy so made swing difficult while standing up hill like a billy goat.

I figured I would find it, but I did not.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good man im sure that meant so much to her

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done Chizzy, I nominate "Honorable Mention". I always knew you were my kind of people.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done chizzy!

Just looking look at the size of that yard and i felt the same way you did.
But you found it!
And now you have a whole new set of friends. [emoji106]

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good! One of my wedding ring hunts turned out more difficult than the people let on. Only five miles from my home, but on a very steep hillside the full width of the house and about 100 feet to the bottom. He owner was throwing off old potted plants when later noticed his ring gone. I hunted for about 2 hours with little results. The hill was covered 100% in English ivy so made swing difficult while standing up hill like a billy goat.

I figured I would find it, but I did not.

Ouch.....Ivy would make it twice as difficult!! Funny the little "details" people leave out when making that kind of request.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good man im sure that meant so much to her

Yeah, Tommy......her husband tried to offer another reward this morning. I suggested he think of some properties I might detect with permission.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Chizzy, I nominate "Honorable Mention". I always knew you were my kind of people.

Thank you, Loco-Digger........the "Mention" is much appreciated. I should be out your way again in late October.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done chizzy!

Just looking look at the size of that yard and i felt the same way you did.
But you found it!
And now you have a whole new set of friends. [emoji106]

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Thanks Ms!! Fortunately I only had to do the back yard and about 1/3 of that large side yard.......
Sure wore me out in that direct sun and heat!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread