Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went down to the river...got some flakes a few small pieces and a couple points. THEN I hit a yard sale area and the person was dumping their artifact collection, or part of it and I bought some items. The first four pics are from a yard sale. I'm not doing so well tonight getting the pics in the order I want them here. The fifth is my find of the day. The sixth is as follows:

It is a 3" long smoothed piece of semi transparent "Williamsite", a variety of serpentine. I think it was man-used. Very pretty stone. Maybe was part of a wrapped or snapped off bead. It is easy material to work with, very soft. The light shines right through it.

The second item in the same picture, found maybe 10' away at the waters' edge is a rounded clear aqua object. I thought either aquamarine or then glass, but there are some definite lines cut across it. I don't think you can see that from the picture. This site goes from paleo to today. (pulltabs). The early English settlers visited it in 1609. It was a huge trading post in the 17th and 18th century.

I think the big grey one (with repaired tip) is an unfluted clovis? Any ideas on the others?

View attachment IMG_1191.jpg View attachment IMG_1192.jpg View attachment IMG_1193.jpg View attachment IMG_1194.jpg View attachment IMG_1195.jpg ?

Then the rain came. I used to know all this stuff, not anymore.

Thanks and enjoy.

View attachment IMG_1196.jpg View attachment IMG_1191.jpg

Upvote 8

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gray one is not a clovis.......its not fluted.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some clovis are not fluted, I'm either thinking paleo lancelate, don't know the name or maybe Guilford, but the Guilfords "wide" part is normally more toward the base of the point. The way the stone is, that little notch at the base is a failed attempt at a flute. There is a gnarly knot of rock right above the notch which would make fluting near impossible. Of course, If I tried to make an arrowhead, I'd probably put an eye out. I've watching videos of people making them....and am in awe of their skills.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no knowledge of these things, but I like the looks of your finds. Congrats!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the last three. One in the middle is just a flake. One on the left has a broken end, it's a woodland triangle from Vera Cruz, PA jasper. One on the right I believe is a drill. View attachment IMG_1197.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. It will take me days to figure out what kind they are. The site I was at still has a lot of folks go there. No digging however. Right now, copperheads and ticks abound.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the last three. One in the middle is just a flake. One on the left has a broken end, it's a woodland triangle from Vera Cruz, PA jasper. One on the right I believe is a drill. View attachment 1614292
Nice finds Smokey. Are you sure the one in the middle is not a drill also ? I cant tell the thickness from the picture, but it sure looks like one from the top view.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Does the grey one have any basal grinding? that'll help determine if it is paleo or not. It looks more like an unfluted Barnes point than a Clovis, but it's pretty rough and hard to tell for sure.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trezurehunter, it could easily be a drill. They (somebody) replaced the point on the grey one and painted the whole blasted thing. I carefully (not) got the stupid grey paint off today. Oxbowbarefoot, it was not an expensive piece, so that's ok, I knew it was painted before I bought it and YES it has basal grinding and up the sides some too. That one "hump" in the stone prevented it from taking a flute correctly but it looks like they tried. I thought the paint job was obvious in the photo. Sorry if it was not. I'll get another photo in a bit if the thunderstorm misses me. At the price I got it for I could not resist. I let it sit all night in Goof off and took a brass brush to it and it feels better now. They grey paint on the tip did not come off, so it looks pretty decent. The underlying stone look Ohio. I guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread