sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Despite the 105 degree heat, I decided to get a little bit of detecting in at the local go to park. Typically I concentrate on the interior areas, but today I focused on the areas next to the road. Not more than a foot from the curb I pulled out a standing liberty quarter. As with most pre-1925 SLQ’s the date was worn off, so I assumed it would forever be a mystery as to what the date was. I did notice though that it was a San Francisco mint, which is common to find here in California.

However when I looked at the reverse I was happy to see that there were no stars below the eagle. That indicates that it is a Type 1, which were only minted in 1916 and 1917. Since the 1916’s had no mint mark (and are exceedingly rare), it’s was obvious that it’s a 1917, Type 1, San Francisco mint standing liberty quarter. It will be a nice addition to my collection.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1532643844.896245.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1532643857.381597.jpg

Upvote 43

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice - I have an 18 over 17 S that I'm proud of
I found mine when I was like 18 at a small park that had been pounded to death - found on edge against old side walk

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great coin I have one I don't know if its a 16 or 17 Nice to have a rare coin good job

Nice coin found by "sjvalleyhunter" . I found one years ago, but not in as great shape, that I know can only be a '17-S. But, for "A2coins" & others who have dateless SLQs without mint marks & no stars under the eagle, there are ways to tell if it's a 1916. The first way has to do with the dots & dashes that circle the
outer edge on the obverse, but I forget what the distinguishing characteristics are & can't find a link explaining it. Plus, they are usually rubbed smooth anyway. The 2nd & 3rd ways are explained in the 2 following links. I always hoped that someday there would be a way distinguish & I saved all my old dateless SLQs that
might be a '16. Unfortunately, no '16 for me. I still feel that someone will find a way to tell if there is a "D" on the back of a rubbed out 1916 Merc. Maybe
something like "Coin Date" (acid) that brings out dates & mint marks of worn down Buff Nickles. But for now, don't discount dateless SLQs. They have a value if
they can be proved to be a 1916. (see links) Happy Hunting !!!
1916 Standing Liberty Quarter How To Identify Authenticate

The Coin Look - Home

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread