Magical find! Sterling silver horse pin and a pile of buried coins under tree!

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20180806_165305.jpg 20180806_170043.jpg 20180806_170058.jpg 20180806_170227.jpg

I found this awesome sterling silver under a big tree in the ground with my $80 Bounty Hunter Jr.! First big find. About six inches away I got a loud beep and dug up 50 pennies all stacked up!!! I believe they were in a coin roll at some point but if it was the paper disintegrated. Does anyone know anything about the pin? All it says on the back is STERLING in small letters and has a marking CA with an arrow through it.

Upvote 38

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on two really nice finds! 🙌 And welcome from North Central Illinois. 🙋

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice surprise are there any more trees around? Nice horse pin. maybe take it to a jeweler and make yourself a detecting pin to go with you for good luck.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Mvgirl! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved from Metal Detecting over to Forum: Today's Finds!? for more exposure.

t_o.gif
3rd - Nice finds! Thanks for sharing...

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from Niagara Falls. Congrats on the silver.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Super find for a first post. Welcome to Tnet.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could just be a generic pin that was owned by someone who enjoyed horses. The good part is, is that it is made of sterling and now belongs to you ! Congrats on a nice find and welcome to the forum from Illinois.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the horse Sterling. Does look like a load of Canadian pennies. You done good! Welcome from Northern Illinois.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone! I agree it's an amazing find for several things:
First, it was found by an $80 Jr. detector on my first year of detecting,
Second, it was found in a playground only a street away!!!
Thirdly, I find it fascinating to think that someone purposely hid it there (because the pile on pennies that were obviously buried were so close by)!
And of course the best part is that it's silver...... AND my favorite animal!!!!

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yah I saw that.... do you think it's the same? Maybe I should search Carl-Art Inc. horse brooch and see what comes up. Thanks for sharing!��

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found it!!! Yes it's Carl-Art, I found it on etsy for $40. But the pin had two horses on it.... maybe I should check under the tree again?!!! Lol of course since I found nothing in the same hole as the horse that's probably it..... unless they hid the other horse somewhere else?.... Guess what I'll be doing today?!!! Hahaha

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also found the same horse on a pin that looked like a whip.... so either way if someone buried it complete there is more sterling out there!!!

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I found it!!! Yes it's Carl-Art, I found it on etsy for $40. But the pin had two horses on it.... maybe I should check under the tree again?!!! Lol of course since I found nothing in the same hole as the horse that's probably it..... unless they hid the other horse somewhere else?.... Guess what I'll be doing today?!!! Hahaha

Yeah....get back out there and round up yer ponies!! Congrats! I've never found fifty coins of any denomination at once so I gotta say you're doing great!

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! By the way can you tell me how to post a new thread? I don't know how

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice silver and coin spill. Well done and welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia!

NotJustAnotherSarah

Aug 3, 2018
IN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How fun to find treasure! The pin looks like ones I have always seen at hunter jumper horse shows. The ones with the breeches and the high boots and the hunt coats. The shirts have a flat raised collar that you are to wear a pin where both sides meet under your chin. I also had one that was brass in the shape of a circular horn and one that looks like a safety pin. Check out horse stock pins for show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread