cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike, Joe and I returned to a deep woods site where I found a beauty of early American silver:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/583296-my-oldest-u-s-silver-today.html

After each of us doing some research on the area, the old maps and some history from the library confirm almost 100% that this site was the former location of an 18th century inn and tavern that may have operated up to around the Civil War. In addition to the 1809 dime, we've now found 4 coppers (pretty crusty, definitely two of them large cents but no date), plus a fatty Indian (also too far gone to date), and I managed to pull a nice 2 Reale out of a supremely trashy section:

IMG_1952.jpg

It's a beautiful hilltop section of woods along an old carriage road studded with cellar holes, so we've got a lot of hours to spend really taking our time up there. The inn foundations feature a lot of old landscaping, shrubs and plantings that you don't normally see in the middle of the woods, all obviously gone way wild now. Ferns and vegetation at the site are waist-high, so, even though I love the summer, I cannot wait until the weather turns cold and some of this gets knocked down.

We'll keep posting, hopefully, as the ground gets easier to work. Research so far is paying off!

HH,
Steve

Upvote 40

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Definitely on my bucket list. Congrats.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Love the 1809. Congrats..................Hogge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread