Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2018
Central WI
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tk4
...don't you laugh...don't you do it...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, brand new to the forum and detecting. Just got my cheapo setup today and decided to start out in my backyard because I figured a signal is a signal and digging practice is good. I recently did about 200 feet of french drain tile work around the house so I had about 8 cu yds foundation fill to sort through. I put all the excess fill from around the house in a raised garden bed in the backyard. I figured they use to use all sorts of stuff for fill back in the day (1960's) so it's worth a shot. Found lots of old wire staples and nails but then something round showed up.

Quarter is from my pocket...:tongue3:
20180814_202953(2).jpg
20180814_202907(2).jpg

Needless to say, the better 3/4 and I are hooked couldn't even imagine the excitement finding this thing. I've seen some present day Chinese coin magicians use similar coins in their acts, other wise I would have had no idea what it was. I have since found out that they are not very rare but for me pulling it out of my backyard in central Wisconsin was pretty darn cool. If anyone knows any specifics on the coin or a good resources please let me know I am clueless. I know it's pretty rusted up I think that's my bad, I hit it with some water to clear soil off not going to do that again.

Can't wait to dive into this pretty heavy, had such a great time right out my backdoor.

Attachments

• 20180814_202953.jpg
    20180814_202953.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 38

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! The old Chinese Cash coin is neat and old! I got two of them. Pretty Nice. WOOT! From Illinois !!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chinese Cache coin. Every China-man who was into gambling at the turn
of the19TH./20TH. century probably had a pocket full for playing Fantan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan-Tan

Though allot of them can be hundreds of years Old,
They would have most likely been lost between the late 1800's & 1930's.

In New York City There were actual chinese Gambling dens

FAN-TAN.jpg

Fantan_gambling,_Canton,_Kwangtung_province,_China_LCCN2001705605.tif.jpg

A page from Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper depicting a fan-tan parlor in New York, a raid by the police, and cards and coins used in fan-tan, in December 1887.

fanntann.jpg

Last edited:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Sweet find! I've only found one of those old Chinese coins ever. Hope you get a lot more good stuff this year.

orgwayne

Greenie
Mar 31, 2014
philomath
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT/ Garrett Pro-Pointer, won Pointer at Gold show in Roseburg Oregon 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anax are you in the 54443 zip code area, you don't have to answer, I was just back near Junction City ,Wis , found [1] one coin A 1944 PENNY !!, way to warm to. be out very long
Wayne

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a neat find. No way will I laugh about a BH Tracker 4. Not the deepest machine but very underated on iron discrimination and recovery speed.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice first coin. Now you are hooked.
Welcome from Milwaukee!

OP
OP
A

Anax

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2018
Central WI
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tk4
...don't you laugh...don't you do it...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome thanks for all the info I'll have to check it out!

I was hoping for a specific reply option for everybody but I'll just sum up here. Thanks for the warm welcome and all the information on the cash coin history. I am sorting through all of it now and pumped to learn some more about it and possibly where it would have come from.

I haven't found anything as exciting lately but a few pennies predating the house by 10 years or so which was the initial goal anyway! There's just something special about finding something that is "invisible".

Thanks to all again for the comments and welcome, from what I've seen thus far this is an impressive forum and really active! It's great to see!

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just a sucker for newbies. If you take some more pictures with better lighting and perhaps cleaning the coin a bit better then we might get a shot. Your intentions are GREAT. It's just we can't really make out the details of the coin. You CAN DO IT!!! OH, below your NAME, Anax, Next to the FLAG you can put ANYTHING. Well, almost anything!

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great post hope to see more

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome thanks for all the info I'll have to check it out!

I was hoping for a specific reply option for everybody but I'll just sum up here. Thanks for the warm welcome and all the information on the cash coin history. I am sorting through all of it now and pumped to learn some more about it and possibly where it would have come from.

I haven't found anything as exciting lately but a few pennies predating the house by 10 years or so which was the initial goal anyway! There's just something special about finding something that is "invisible".

Thanks to all again for the comments and welcome, from what I've seen thus far this is an impressive forum and really active! It's great to see!

You have picked a very good forum with a ton of active and helpful people. Even if i cant get out in the field i spend a lot of time here because seeing what other people find gives me motivation to get out there. Plus even if you didnt find it other peoples finds are just as exciting.

As far as replying to individual people... it took me a while to figure out but here is the easy way.

At the bottom of peoples comments you see a "Reply" icon - Basically just you saying something.

"Reply With Quote" icon - Looks like my comment here with what you said and what i said underneath.

Then "The Multi Quote" icon - you hit this button for all the people you want to reply to. I usually do 3 or 4 people at a time.
You can see all the other peoples comments all at once and reply to each one in the same comment.

Hope that made sense lol.

Anyways keep digging and posting. Good luck and Happy Hunting!!

-TMD-

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anax Good to have you on board .If this site does not raise your level of interest for all things related to treasure hunting than treasure hunting is not for you .I have learned a lot because of all those people that make this site so good

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread