WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back out today filling in the blanks on my map of the area. First signal was a large "tinkle cone" so I figured it was going to be a good day.

Tinkle Cone.

IMG_7526.JPG

Knife & fork.

IMG_7510.JPG

Assorted

IMG_7512.JPG

Button

IMG_7517.JPG

Copper nuggets...the area is rich with Old Copper Culture finds..these were in the same hole.

IMG_7546.JPG

Fancy mug.

fancy mug.JPG IMG_7529.JPG IMG_7530.JPG

And the coolest find of the day...a HBC lead seal. You can see on the front the words "Pro" & "Cutem" . Pro Pelle Cutem [Lat, "a skin for a skin"], the official motto of the HUDSON'S BAY COMPANY, was adopted soon after the company received its charter in 1670.

I'm not sure what the markings on the back mean...some forgotten fur count?

Front

front.JPG

Back

back.JPG

Upvote 26

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigToChina You have it exactly right The fur trade was the most important factor in the settlement of the west .Those early trappers served as Scout ,Map Maker .Guide and what ever other role they could to help it happen .The movement west by the trappers eventually lead to the CA Gold Rush .the building of the rail lines and the lumbering industry . Of course there where also negative impacts such as the slaughter of the buffalo . I have no idea how many of the fur trade artifacts might be out there .But often they where spread out over such a large area finding any of them is special

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread