May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The general plan was to try this site in the morning & move to the Metal Working Site if there was not much around. We decided to stay.:laughing7:
We gridded for about 5.5 hours in the best area, & 30 minutes on Sestertius Hill (field next door) where it lived up to its name with 2 more!

Roman Iron Locking Mech.
30 Roman Bronze Coins
Roman Spoon Handle
Roman Bracelet bit
Near complete Roman Nail Cleaner
Vicky period pewter toy tea cup
bits...
Roman Denarius of Handrian (very black patina)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 24

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Roman spoon handle, have you ever found more intact examples? It's nice that your Sestertius hill still has big signals for you, how many have come from the spot? Are the obverses of the 2 sestertii chem-roached? The one on the left looks like it had nice detail when lost.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nice job as always Cru. You are incredibly consistent man for as long as I can remember. Keep them coming!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Roman spoon handle, have you ever found more intact examples? It's nice that your Sestertius hill still has big signals for you, how many have come from the spot? Are the obverses of the 2 sestertii chem-roached? The one on the left looks like it had nice detail when lost.
Nope, only find part of the bowls or most of the handle.

Not a lot, may be 12 or so (Cru'dad has the Stats), it's just the high ratio compared to the others that is odd. (Its only a small sub-site to the Lion Site) Most are pretty rough.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job as always Cru. You are incredibly consistent man for as long as I can remember. Keep them coming!
Yes, hard to do when we keep taking 1000 bronzes a year from all the sites.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My god is England paved with Roman coins and artifacts? lol. Nice finds! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Another nice hunt Cru. Seems you always do well. The item at bottom of first pic., is that a horse's leg? Toy? Statue? Time period? Or am I seeing things? Thanks and good luck.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always a treat to view your finds! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly I wanna do that someday Great post

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love that Hadrian fellow, built a wall to keep his nation safe. Had the soldiers of Rome build it, it's still there even today. :D

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing and beautiful finds!!! Very nice sir!!!!:occasion14:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save some for me Cru, it might be a few years before I can afford to travel across the pond

Sep 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you decide where to grid? I live on a farm in the middle of the USA - should I waste time scavenging through the fields? Or is country land a 50/50?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck guess on my first reply, this is the stats;

''Numbers of Sestertius are indeed 12 with 8 AS & Dupondii – so 20 large coins''

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another nice hunt Cru. Seems you always do well. The item at bottom of first pic., is that a horse's leg? Toy? Statue? Time period? Or am I seeing things? Thanks and good luck.
Pretty sure its a broken part of a buckle, at first I thought 18th C, but it has a much older look to the metal & decor:dontknow:

madmantrapper

Sep 1, 2018
Carroll County, Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you decide where to grid? I live on a farm in the middle of the USA - should I waste time scavenging through the fields? Or is country land a 50/50?

Cru is in an area where history is measured in thousands of years, in the USA we are measured in hundreds. You may find arrowheads, not so much from the Romans.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly you need to be research lead - ie. very targeted about where you hunt. (for us this means using google earth, & other archaeological resources, old maps etc...)
Once you have narrowed down a field or a larger area, you need to use experience & landscape archaeology to guide you. ie. Where is the water source, is it free of flooding, out of the wind, etc..
You never grid until you have the signs to do so. Our basic signs are as follows;
Nails
Pieces of Lead (one of the most important for us, no lead=no site)
Pot Shards
Darker Soil
Lighter (sandy) Soil - easier to farm

When you get a combination of those signs (or in some cases just 1 of them), then you grid in every direction, until you have found the size & shape of the scatter. The scatter, as we call it are the finds that we GPS, the GPSed maps log the exact size & shape of the scatter (this varies from 1 acre to over 10 acres big), helping us grid it the next year without wasted effort.

PS. You can do what we call 'blind hunts' & scout any field you like. I then like to do this when its ploughed (& I have no other targets on the list), so I can see the 'signs' with my eyes as well as listen for nails etc (1 reason why I like a hear all set up) When scouting, I'll follow my intuition & sometimes zig-zag.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions