Stunning Revolutionary War Button! If it could only talk...

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Gold, AT Pro, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the honor to save a stunning piece of american history. My passion is early american coins & relics, and this takes the cake for me. We were water hunting one of our favorite sites. It's a 300 year old river crossing. Before this hunt the site has produced a 1725 Half Real Cob, Multiple King Charles Half Reales, 1711 Quarter Cut 2 Reales, a few Colonial Coppers (KGI's, KGII's), Multiple Buckle Pieces, and Colonial Buttons. I finally scored a Cast Pewter Continental Army USA Button! The water preserved it beautifully. It takes my breath away every time i look at it. Front and Back it blows my mind.
20180811_140844.jpg
20180811_140859.jpg

Here's the video from this day if interested...

Upvote 50
OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to get all prickily.To me the lack of the characteristic mold seam on pewter buttons (and USA buttons) is not present and the shank do not look right to me and Iam not an expert. However those reasons and the preservation make me question it’s age.

Not offended at all. I can't believe the condition of this button as well. Here's some better shots of the mold seam for you. It travels the the entire back of the button up and over the shank. Picture don't do it justice. All the best
20180927_084420.jpg 20180927_084600.jpg 20180927_084628.jpg 20180927_084713.jpg

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the honor to save a stunning piece of american history. My passion is early american coins & relics, and this takes the cake for me. We were water hunting one of our favorite sites. It's a 300 year old river crossing. Before this hunt the site has produced a 1725 Half Real Cob, Multiple King Charles Half Reales, 1711 Quarter Cut 2 Reales, a few Colonial Coppers (KGI's, KGII's), Multiple Buckle Pieces, and Colonial Buttons. I finally scored a Cast Pewter Continental Army USA Button! The water preserved it beautifully. It takes my breath away every time i look at it. Front and Back it blows my mind.
View attachment 1636454
View attachment 1636455

Here's the video from this day if interested...

Kurt congrats on the historic find! I wanted to say thanks for the time and effort that you put into your videos: they fire my imagination and inspire the quest! I look forward to the videos every Wed. The water hunts have been amazing and intriguing. I think I would lose my mind if I was trying to make a video while detecting at the same time! It's hard enough making the finds! Keep finding great stuff and thanks for the entertaining video's. -Broderick

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the kind words and support. This is one of my all time favorite finds ever. I had to share.
Here's some of the other finds from this site.
The green KGI was out of a field earlier in the day. The rest are from the water.
20180621_214313.jpg
20180621_213932.jpg
My oldest silver ever. Cut 1711 2 Reales
P6240097.JPG
20180624_213913.jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoover boys must have a constant shortage of bubble gum. All they seem to do is kick butt.

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kurt congrats on the historic find! I wanted to say thanks for the time and effort that you put into your videos: they fire my imagination and inspire the quest! I look forward to the videos every Wed. The water hunts have been amazing and intriguing. I think I would lose my mind if I was trying to make a video while detecting at the same time! It's hard enough making the finds! Keep finding great stuff and thanks for the entertaining video's. -Broderick

Thank you for the kind words. There's been many times where I've been ready to stop making videos. It was a much more simple life before videos, but all the kind words and support have kept us going. We appreciate it

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa what a remarkable save!!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blahahaha!! Tpmetal- That made my day. Thank you

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find sir.

Thanks for all of your efforts producing videos, I really enjoy them.

Good luck!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blahahaha!! Tpmetal- That made my day. Thank you

No problem, thanks for all the great videos and entertainment. I've been watching since the walmart days with that pesky squirrel trevor stealing my name.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sick find! Stunning condition!!! Wow. The water preserved it so well! Never seen one in such great shape. Banner all day!

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got the notification at school and couldn't wait to get home and watch it. Stunning find kurt.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow the condition is amazing. Must have been lost by a rev war veteran or soldier away on leave. No other explination for rev war stuff in that area but I have read that some Continental troops were sent to the eastern shore to quell strong loyalist activity in the area

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOD ONE THERE!

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the kind words and support. This is one of my all time favorite finds ever. I had to share.
Here's some of the other finds from this site.
The green KGI was out of a field earlier in the day. The rest are from the water.
View attachment 1636643
View attachment 1636645
My oldest silver ever. Cut 1711 2 Reales
View attachment 1636646
View attachment 1636647

The Spanish were still producing cobbs after they started producing milled coins? It surprises me that your cut 2R is older than your Cobb! That’s a killer piece of history you found there with that button! I know you guys put your time in, well deserved!!

Last edited:

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched your video yesterday and kept thinking to myself "How does Kurt keep finding all those frigging awesome finds?" Tell us Kurt! lol Awesome finds again! :icon_thumleft:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am not here checking out the treasure I am watching videos of it. Congrats on the Rev USA.

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Spanish were still producing cobbs after they started producing milled coins? It surprises me that your cut 2R is older than your Cobb! That’s a killer piece of history you found there with that button! I know you guys put your time in, well deserved!!

The 1711 was minted in Spain. The Cob was from south america under Spanish rule. As they found more and more Silver deposits in Spanish colonies there was a pressing demand to get that silver over to Spain as quickly as possible, so they produced hammered cobs because it was quicker than rolling the silver into sheets for cutting planchets to mill coins. Pretty fascinating if you ask me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread