Rarest coin I've dug (to my knowledge) NJ State copper!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dfallis took me to one of his sites and it was square nail city. This site has unbelievable dream worthy history so I just kept digging those iffy signals and they all turned out to be square nails. Solid hits were nowhere to be found as the area is riddled with iron. Finally I got one screamer 30-32 solid locked on VDI on the nox . It was super shallow at 4 inches so I was thinking cow tag, washer, junk. I was digging carefully since the area has produced some awesome finds and glad I did. Out popped this beauty. The area of the coin with the date is a little corroded but there's enough detail left for a quick ID from Dfallis. I am pretty jazzed up to find a State copper as it is a unique piece of American history. I was hoping for a Reale as its been too long since I got one but this is way cooler! I also got some silver on Friday and Sunday but this is what I deem post worthy. I haven't cleaned it and Dfallis gave it a light wipe to ID it. The surface has that nice glossy look for the most part but the edges are getting a bit flaky. I don't want to risk cleaning it at this time. I am assuming it would come back " environmental damage" ungradeable and I see these coins all over the map in terms of value . I am curious if the mark in the top left of the shield is PMD . At any rate its the best coin I think I've ever found in 9+ years. I have found gold and silver jewelry, old silvers and coppers but this one takes the cake for me. It makes me yearn to find some better sites for the fall since most of my old turf has been kind of unproductive thus far. Dfallis had just told me a State copper was on his bucket list right before the discovery and I was scrambling to think of my bucket listers when this one presented itsself. Thanks D! I owe you a good hunt on the shore.
I still feel I am not using the nox to its potential as all the coins I find are shallow ish and the ID for a penny and a silver dime are almost identical in terms of VDI and the auditory pitch isn't as recognizeable as on my Safari. I like the machine but for coming into it speaking minelabese I thought the transition would be smoother. When I start hitting those silver dimes at 10 inches I'll know I've got the feel for it. Until then I'll keep swinging along. I do like how light the machine is so there's that. Happy hunting and good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_20181014_122234189.jpg
    IMG_20181014_122234189.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20181014_122246849.jpg
    IMG_20181014_122246849.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 143
Upvote 24
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet find, love the old copper coins! :occasion14:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done nice display case items there

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Nice going!! I look forward to catching up for another detective g
trip. Congrats on the find.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used