IHP & a silver thimble and a ???

Hawkeye56

Apr 24, 2018
North Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Relic, Garrett Infinity LS, Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_5338.JPG

I found these items Sunday at a 1918 site. The IHP is 1896. The thimble has "Sterling" engraved on the side, and I don't know what the heck is on the side. I've found a number of them over the years but have never figured out what they are. I'll post the photo in the what is it forum as well.

Upvote 19

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a tent line tightener.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Hawkeye56

Hawkeye56

Apr 24, 2018
North Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Relic, Garrett Infinity LS, Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You think so? There would certainly be enough transient labor at these sites to warrant tents, but it looks like I would find LOT more of them. Most of these sites are small towns that grew up around turpentine "stills" or saw mills. After about ten years the lumber is cut out and they die out. I will certainly look into tent accessories from the period.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think so? There would certainly be enough transient labor at these sites to warrant tents, but it looks like I would find LOT more of them. Most of these sites are small towns that grew up around turpentine "stills" or saw mills. After about ten years the lumber is cut out and they die out. I will certainly look into tent accessories from the period.

I don't just think so, I know so. have found one or two myself and have researched them. and they pop up on here from time to time. People also call them civil war period, but they extended before and after the civil war by a decent time frame.

OP
OP
Hawkeye56

Hawkeye56

Apr 24, 2018
North Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help guys! I followed the links back to the reference photos and I'm totally convinced. I would have NEVER thought it had anything to do with a tent without your help. That's one thing about this web site that stands out to me, anybody who has a passion for history and looking for historical artifacts will run across MANY things that can't be identified; but somewhere somebody has found the same thing and been down that path already. Tent rope tighteners! Who'd a thunk it!

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely Tent Rope Tightener. Patented November 30, 1880.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds .These tnetters are good with IDs

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds now find the tent! :laughing7:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting