JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like limit switch.. some thing hits the arm and engages the contacts. Assuming it still works if you have a ohm meter it is quick to verify.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be wrong but why would a Limit Switch have a crank for generating electrical energy? I was thinking it may be a electrical power generator for field phones used by the military.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think He edited in the electric shock while I was replying. Looks like a limit switch arm. OP, post up any numbers not visible in pics. who knows...lol

Last edited:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting!

The Logo on the switch seems to imply a communications or power generating utility. Is the power generated by rotating the lever with the knob? What is the smaller lever on the side or is that the remnant of some attaching device? It could be part of a telephone ringer device, like the handsets the phone repairmen use. Old time telephones required a generating device to alert the operator that you desired to make a call. She would then answer and you would give her either the name or the number of the desired party. Later the system was revised to allow the caller to create a codded sequence of long and short rings to ID the desired recipient. It could have been used on a field telephone where you would basically use the same short or long combos to reach HQ or the artillery command or other units. It could also be a detonator for setting off a blasting cap for either peaceful or military purposes. From the photo the manufacturers name is Junkers? Were they not the premier producer of German warplanes?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, Junkers was a major Aircraft and Aircraft Engine manufacturer during both Wars (WWI and WWII) and up until 1967 when it was merged with Messerschmitt.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might add that if this is a com generator and anything like the ones used in the states it won't just shock you it will rattle your teeth!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find! :occasion14:

Looks like a some type of hand held generator unit. If you do not know the voltage and current rating, I would be careful if you decide to crank and touch loose wires. :dontknow:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting find! :occasion14:

Looks like a some type of hand held generator unit. If you do not know the voltage and current rating, I would be careful if you decide to crank and touch loose wires. :dontknow:

Yeah, I took the Transformer out of my sister's phonograph (record player) back in the mid 1960s and although it decreased the electrical output to the phonographs motor, if wired the other way, it increased the electrical output. I know because we attached the two wires that should go to the phonographs motor to a 6 volt flashlight battery and had a friend stick his' tongue to the other two wires. The charge knocked him clean out and was funny as hell at the time but not so much if you are the one getting shocked.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry can’t help with the I D. Welcome to tnet from Niagara Falls.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is part of an aircraft or military communication system. Maybe some of our German friends can chime in and tell us what it is.

Dsorgnzd

Sep 23, 2003
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot,
White's5900 Di Pro,
Compass Relic Magnum 7A
According to Google translate, "zund kabel" translates to "ignition cable", if that helps.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool relic whatever it is!!!!!!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the handle spin around? The words across the top "Nur in Pfeilrichtung" translate to "only in the direction of the arrow". There is an arrow just above those words pointing in a clockwise direction. I would guess it was a hand cranked generator for a communications device, possibly a telegraph.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a similar device but mine is more heavy duty judging by the picture and all metal. The "crank" on mine has some resistance but can be turned faster and faster. My device is an old telephone generator that came out of a very old phone. With a simple turn of the crank it can light a house light bulb so it really puts out some juice. I'm wondering if that is what you have but maybe a newer model. The one I have could be used to "phone fish" by placing wires on metal rods and putting in water and cranking. I believe that is illegal to do but I have heard stories of people using them for that purpose.

OP
OP
S

stefantwerp

Oct 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,

thanks for the input !

I contacted some websites related to Junkers and received an answer from two of them ; they both thought (but weren't sure) it is part of an old heating system.

In the end, I sold the item as an unknown. (I asked the buyer what he bought but he didn't reply).

Kind regards,

Stef

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread