Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My friend Lucas and I hunted a site a week or so ago that we hunted last April and he found a great conditioned SC button and a lockplate there previously and I walked away with a handful of mostly Confederate bullets as well as an 1863 Indian head cent some colonial relics and homesite relics scattered in the mix. The history of this site shows that it was close to a small battle atop a hill, there was also a small colonial house site there which was the main reason we wanted to try it. We think it was used as a camp or hospital site before and after the battle. It had signs of both Union and Confederate occupation. We stopped back there and were greeted by the incredible and hospitible homeowners.

The first thing Lucas finds, less than 15 minutes in, is a musket lockplate from a m1842 .69 caliber rifle and shortly after that he finds a beautiful carbine sling buckle! The carbine sling buckle was on both of our bucket lists!

I had nothing at this point but eventually started finding a few bullets and then quickly got into a small patch with some very nice dandy buttons in the mix. The finds started thinning out and we decided to hit another part of the site which looked promising. My first target in this area was a New York button and we kept finding bullets and various early brass targets. We stayed in this area for a little while and then I decided to venture into another part of the yard and there was not much in it, but there was one lone keeper... and it was a really good one. I had no idea what it was at the time, which was a good thing. It turned out to be a Model 1819 shoudler belt plate. Apparently this is one of only 5,000 ever produced!!! This was produced in 1819 and used from 1819-1828 by George Armitage for the U.S. militia. There's a high chance that plate could've been used by a Confederate soldier.

After that discover, we continued to find a plentiful amount of colonial, victorian, and Civil War finds until it got dark. Other finds included a total of 13 bullets, several of which were altered or carved by soldiers, the back of a US General Service, a New York state button, part of a “J-hook” from a soldiers knapsack, an epaulette scale, the handle of a small knife or possibly a fleam, a WWI collar disk, a hem weight, a clip on earring with a glass face, a harmonica reed, three late 1700s flat buttons, portion of a mid 1700s tombac spoon, and some other miscellaneous colonial objects.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

us.png

Screenshot_28.png

Screenshot_29.png

us1.png

Upvote 86
OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner buckle

What a find!!!! U.S BANNER

Man! That is INCREDIBLE! Banner all the way! Congrats!

Beautiful historic buckle! A banner find any day! Must have been a rush seeing that come out of the ground.

Thanks so much guys. The buckle was no more than 2” deep and it was a funky signal, I really wasn’t expecting much with it and I’m super lucky I didn’t clip it with my shovel!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!
What a site 200 years of history there , I'd be happy with just 1 Minnie these days.

That Plate is a Banner Bomb.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner I would love to hunt there and have my own museum of relics Well done Thanks for sharing

Last edited:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
So are you framing that thing or what? What a beauty!!!:occasion14:

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never saw a plate like that! Congrats on a rare find and making banner!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am greener than that belt plate....with envy Congrats on the well deserved banner

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweeeeet find!!! Congrats [emoji323]

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the killer CW historical find and a well deserved Banner! :occasion14:

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would a Confederate soldier wear a Union plate?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! Congratulations on another Virginia banner find!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good research and patience almost always produce interesting finds! :notworthy:

Congratulations on achieving your 4th Tnet BANNER Isaac!

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions