A Relic Day in the Field and a Cautionary Tale

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

Today, I went out for a couple of hours in between the many house chores. I visited a permission farm field in my home town. I spoke to the farmer (he was walking around in the fields) and he said “you and your friend are the only one with permission to detect…who are these other people I see all the time?” I just looked at him and he said; “I will be calling the police if I see any other vehicle than yours”. After digging a bit deeper, the root of the problem is people are detecting his fields leaving unfilled holes, junk metal and trash (coffee cups, cigarettes…etc.) everywhere; otherwise he doesn’t care. I would imagine this problem exists in other locations around the country, probably the world. Not good for our hobby!

Anyway the keepers were all relics with a very ornate button, buckles, pottery and a few other trinkets. Interesting, no coins were found; this rarely ever happens. The weather was beautiful for detecting with only a slight breeze, cooler temperature with full sun…awesome!

Thank you for looking.

GL & HH

Doc

Tom  11_12_18.jpg

Upvote 37

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently got permission for a small cornfield after several days of trying to contact the owner. She was very impressed when I told her that simply seeing other MDs in a field doesn’t imply permission for everyone and that I DO NOT go on private property without explicit permission. I don’t bring others along without permission and I tell the owners the names of those I will bring. I didn’t find anything banner worthy but I may have opened the door to some large fields she owns nearby. I’d hate to lose this place because some sh—heads left holes and trash

On occasion I also get the farmer who has no problem with folks in his fields, but I still like to let him know who I am and that I’m a responsible MDr.

Unfortunately, the “poachers” who get a thrill out of sneaking onto properties ruin it for the rest of us.
HH
dts
I’d love to see some of these guys get the thrill of a cavity search and the weekend in the slammer with bubba and lumpy (;

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, it is a shame but the mentality is prevalent in our so called "society" these days. Its based on jealousy. If you're seen detecting a field, more than once then you * must* be on a gold mine! And it just ain't fair!! That just cuz you go thru all the proper hoops. Locate the owner, get permission, etc. It ain't fair *you* should have *ALL* that to your lone self!

Another correlation is the concept of: You go ahead, do the right thing. Get educated, get a job, work hard, make that money! When I need some....I'll just come and take yours.

Sad commentary on life as its becoming. But, as I see it? Hang on to your shorts...its going to do nothing but get worse. Bad thought? Maybe, but I suspect, closer to the truth than we ever want to admit.

Anyway, glad you have an understanding owner and he didn't just pull the plug, for *everybody*!

Keep on keeping on.

You’re absolutely right about people assuming there’s a hot spot. They don’t stop to think that maybe the place is really convenient or maybe the guy himself dropped something (like I have).

And your philosophy on our society- Amen to that. I’m glad I’m strolling down the 17th fairway of life. I don’t want to see what it’ll be like in another 30 years.

On that happy note, happy hunting and keep on keeping on.
dts

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds. Unfortunately there’s bad apples everywhere and it’s impossible to pluck them out.

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went through a similar situation on 2 of my permissions in the last 6 months. I worded a recent post wrong regarding this and got a good ribbing from the fellas on this site lol. Your problem is rampant though atleast here in NC also. People see me detecting somewhere and just think it's open ground I reckon. I've had to tell people off myself(per land owners request) and I've also had the awkward moment where the owner thought I may be inviting friends etc. Not the case. Luckily I didnt lose my permissions either, but I wish something could be done to curb this behavior. It's going to get harder and harder to get permissions as more detectorists hit the scene... let alone the improper diggers, and mess leaving types! Hope it doesnt happen again to ya! Proper etiquette is key to the survival of our hobby people... but I doubt you guys are the ones that need to be told that Haha! Cool finds anyway and happy hunting!

TreasureTony

Feb 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry to hear this. A friend and I obtained a permission even though we could not detect for another month. When we arrived , the owner was extremely hesitant. We started detecting and after a while he came out spitting mad talking about how we didn't fill our holes last time or the time before. He was drunk and was about to get into a fight with my buddy, so I stepped in to diffuse the situation and he spit in my face! It was all I could to time dismiss us and we haven't been back. The "others" that didn't have permission showed up the next weekend and were held at gunpoint until the cops arrived. The landowner did mail me a letter apologizing for his actions, but we still didn't feel comfortable enough to return. It is sad that some dont think they need permission

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few bad apples ruin it for everyone

grimysmurf

Greenie
Oct 21, 2010
Berkeley Springs , WV
Detector(s) used
Now . Equinox 800 , Fisher CZ6a
Past . AT Pro , Whites Coinmaster , Ace 250 , Bounty hunter pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would have ended badly for them at my permission . They know me, my car and my plate number . Its nice having a protected site . No matter where I am tho I always police my butts , fill my holes and take the trash out .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread