My best find on Thanksgiving day in my own back yard.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Remember Bill Murry’s obsession with the gopher in the Caddyshack movie? Well that is me with a certain elusive mole in my small newly sodded back yard for the past year. Ok you guys in the country don’t laugh at my little one third of an acre lot. I have tried smoke bombs, grub killer spray, mole traps (two different kinds), flooding the tunnels with water and nothing kills the mole. I seriously think my lame efforts only amuse him.

After our Thanksgiving meal we were sitting on my back deck with our drinks of beer (with half the men secretly wishing they could smoke) and wine. The women were into their third glass and the men were not really counting their beers. But based on the past military service stories being often repeated that memorable afternoon it is apparent that all was well with the men. No disrespect here, I served for thee years in the Army in the early 60’s.

I am not drinking due to a head cold that is quickly moving to a chest cold and the OTC cold remedies are doping me up. I was drifting off in a pleasant slumber dreaming about finding the elusive stacked silver coin cache with my Equinox 800 (see this is about metal detecting).

Then breaking through my dream I hear my son-in-law say “How you say in English?, What is this small furry animal?”. Pardon if my punctuation is wrong, I have no idea how to parse Spanglish.

In an instant I covered 25 feet and was stomping a mole who was trying to turn around and get back into the safety his tunnel. Within microseconds of stomping him, I grabbed a big round river rock and was pounding that mole into his next stop on his cosmic journey. The men were laughing, since no one had any idea this old man could run so fast and the daughter-in-law was shrieking “OH MY GOD HE’S KILLING A CHIPMUNK!!!!!”. My wife was trying to calm her daughter down by telling her it is perfectly all right for me to bash in the head of the little mole who has been building the New York City subway system in our back yard for the past year. Well technically I was bashing in the whole mole since the river rock was about five times the size of the mole.

I guess I have to begrudgingly credit my son-in-law with the Thanksgiving day find, but I definitely deserve the kill because I had about 18 witnesses. Sorry no video since I was too fast and everyone else was in the post Thanksgiving meal stupor period. I am a happy man.

Upvote 17

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would have made a nice video. Maybe do a recreation with a toy mouse from the pet store. Film at 11.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember Bill Murry’s obsession with the gopher in the Caddyshack movie? Well that is me with a certain elusive mole in my small newly sodded back yard for the past year. Ok you guys in the country don’t laugh at my little one third of an acre lot. I have tried smoke bombs, grub killer spray, mole traps (two different kinds), flooding the tunnels with water and nothing kills the mole. I seriously think my lame efforts only amuse him.

After our Thanksgiving meal we were sitting on my back deck with our drinks of beer (with half the men secretly wishing they could smoke) and wine. The women were into their third glass and the men were not really counting their beers. But based on the past military service stories being often repeated that memorable afternoon it is apparent that all was well with the men. No disrespect here, I served for thee years in the Army in the early 60’s.

I am not drinking due to a head cold that is quickly moving to a chest cold and the OTC cold remedies are doping me up. I was drifting off in a pleasant slumber dreaming about finding the elusive stacked silver coin cache with my Equinox 800 (see this is about metal detecting).

Then breaking through my dream I hear my son-in-law say “How you say in English?, What is this small furry animal?”. Pardon if my punctuation is wrong, I have no idea how to parse Spanglish.

In an instant I covered 25 feet and was stomping a mole who was trying to turn around and get back into the safety his tunnel. Within microseconds of stomping him, I grabbed a big round river rock and was pounding that mole into his next stop on his cosmic journey. The men were laughing, since no one had any idea this old man could run so fast and the daughter-in-law was shrieking “OH MY GOD HE’S KILLING A CHIPMUNK!!!!!”. My wife was trying to calm her daughter down by telling her it is perfectly all right for me to bash in the head of the little mole who has been building the New York City subway system in our back yard for the past year. Well technically I was bashing in the whole mole since the river rock was about five times the size of the mole.

I guess I have to begrudgingly credit my son-in-law with the Thanksgiving day find, but I definitely deserve the kill because I had about 18 witnesses. Sorry no video since I was too fast and everyone else was in the post Thanksgiving meal stupor period. I am a happy man.

I speak for myself but I'm here for the true tales of treasure, not true tales of crushing defenseless animals to death and bragging about it. What is the value of your story here?

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Wear rubber gloves for this:
Tear up juicy fruit/fruit stripe chewing gum and stick the pieces down into the tunnels.
There is a lot of sites saying this does/does NOT work.
But I used it last year and it worked for me. And I only put it in a few places, not all over the tunnels.
Supposedly the moles/voles eat it and can't pass it so it ends up killing them.....

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the mole was diggin up the guys lawn and had ever rite to smah his wittle head in , fast and furious and humane ,, it was over fast.....feel better now......X

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Varmint-cong, I’m in a pitched 6 week battle of my own with a very smart, muscular and cold blooded field mouse. After hearing this story, I’m going to keep a fieldstone in my pocket.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Yep, if you have ever had the "pleasure" of a mole digging up the lawn you tend to every week, then you know the victory of the find the OP had. I used to have the little critters dig up my lawn all the time. What worked best for me was to fill in all but 2 holes then put a hose in one and stand ready at the other. Worked for me every time! Although the family would have nothing to do with me if I bashed one so I wore gloves, caught it and let it go far far far away!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I speak for myself but I'm here for the true tales of treasure, not true tales of crushing defenseless animals to death and bragging about it. What is the value of your story here?

Cautionary tales.
Take your pick.
#1. Don't take cold meds..
#2 Stay out of the yard of someone who does not want you to be there , when they are taking them.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I introduced myself to new neighbors while swinging a shovel at a scampering mole - :laughing7:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My cat loves moles.
He leaves them on my back step as a gift.

jcc

Nov 15, 2018
Portage, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TR550-D
Primary Interest:
Other
Put down grub killer, diazinon (or whatever replaced it if they outlawed the one that worked). No food, the moles will move next door and you can watch your neighbor try bashing them with a shovel.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoyed the story! LOL! Next time you have a mole problem, clear out a little of the hole and dump a 1/2 cup of bleach and a 1/2 cup of ammonia in the hole on a cotton ball. The smoke/fumes will start rolling, cover it immediately with a board. DO NOT breath the fumes as it is mustard gas and deadly. It is heavier than air and will follow the trenches and extinguish your mole problem overnight.

L.C.:icon_thumright:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Cautionary tales.
Take your pick.
#1. Don't take cold meds..
#2 Stay out of the yard of someone who does not want you to be there , when they are taking them.
Moral of the story................ always get permission!! See, it is about treasure hunting!!!!!!!! (:

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

Real Live Wack-A-Mole! People pay good money to play this game at carnivals and fairs! You got to do it live!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A hand grenade home made. Cool story Daughter in law is scared of you now..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread