🥇 BANNER The Find Of A Lifetime! No Stamp Act Button 1766!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to another cellar hole today, along a ATV/Snowmobile trail. I was happy with the buttons and buckle parts I was finding, then I found this!!

DSC_0144.JPG

I didn't know what it was at first, but saw the bust and writing and knew it was good though. I was fantasizing about it being a George Washington button, but figured that it couldn't be one. When I got it home I looked at it under a light and read, "No Stamp Act 1766". I nearly had a heart attack reading that, I was probably holding the most historic thing I had ever held. I didn't even clean it, I don't want to risk damaging it, but it is looks to be in great shape!

Last one that was dug sold at auction for $9000. I'm not going to sell this one anytime soon though!
DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0129.JPG DSC_0147.JPG DSC_0116.JPG DSC_0148.JPG

The rest of the stuff I found today, I also found a little cufflink, not in photo though.

Still no coppers for 2018, but this button makes up for that!

Here's the one that sold for $9000 in 2009
post.png post.png

Last edited:
Upvote 133

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinman123, you are going to have to change your icon picture now...I didn't even know that there were buttons in the colonies that were like this one. What a great save of our nation's history!

Nicely done, and banner...

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dream of finding something from that period some day with the historical significance, great job.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope you checked your hole. ;-)
I am very pleased for you. Find of a lifetime.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner Im still amazed that is a museum piece

nolanation

Apr 28, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Did you see the one that sold for $3000 recently on Heritage Auction?

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I contacted George Washington Inaugural Buttons asked if they would like some photos of the button for their website, which has a guide of various different historic buttons, especially GW buttons. I also did one of those "Free Appraisal" thingys from the Heritage Auction website a couple weeks ago because I was curious to see what the value was, and they said that they would set an estimate at $6000 in auction, then asked me if I wanted to put it in an auction. Normally it seems like all of Heritage Auctions go much higher than their estimate, including the one that sold for $9000. I declined their offer though, as I like this button too much to let go of it. If I ever do anything with it, it would probably be putting it on loan at a museum somewhere, I would never donate it though. Perhaps a museum in Boston would display it, as it is relevant to their history and only a couple hours a way. Not sure if it is fancy enough though, but worth a try.

I also removed most of the dirt from the button under running water, very carefully. Sorry for the bad photo, it's the best I could get for now.

(Click on photo to see it better)
DSC_0094.jpg

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still amazed at the condition of this button. Absolutely stunning. The odds of finding that incredibly rare find in that condition is hard to wrap your head around.

FieldStone

Jan 9, 2019
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually registered to comment how amazing this find is, been lurking here for months. What an Amazing Find with the value being irrelevant. Stamp Act was the starting point for our independence! Congrats!

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coinman123 -

If you do in fact loan your fabulous find to a museum, make absolutely sure of the following.

1) That the museum itself is paying to have your item fully insured at the value you determine and that you will receive the proceeds should the item go missing.

2) That the item will actually be on active display and that when you decide that the loan period is over that they will present you with a letter (on their official letterhead) stating that the item was in fact on display. Should you decide at a later date to sell your item this may increase its value.

I have loaned numerous items to museums in Boston and New York and when the loan period for a Wooden Ming Dynasty Saddle was over they were unable to find the woven girth that was used to hold the saddle on the horse.

To say that I was livid would be a gross understatement.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually registered to comment how amazing this find is, been lurking here for months. What an Amazing Find with the value being irrelevant. Stamp Act was the starting point for our independence! Congrats!

Thanks a bunch, as a relic hunter I still can't believe how much history is attached to this little button! Also, I hope you are enjoying TreasureNet, feel free to introduce yourself in the New Member Introductions forum here. Looking forward to seeing your finds on here!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Coinman123 -

If you do in fact loan your fabulous find to a museum, make absolutely sure of the following.

1) That the museum itself is paying to have your item fully insured at the value you determine and that you will receive the proceeds should the item go missing.

2) That the item will actually be on active display and that when you decide that the loan period is over that they will present you with a letter (on their official letterhead) stating that the item was in fact on display. Should you decide at a later date to sell your item this may increase its value.

I have loaned numerous items to museums in Boston and New York and when the loan period for a Wooden Ming Dynasty Saddle was over they were unable to find the woven girth that was used to hold the saddle on the horse.

To say that I was livid would be a gross understatement.

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely ask those things. I was going to email the Old State House in Boston today, but unfortunately it looks like their website is down right now so I can't find their email. I did put some stuff on loan before, but only at very small local museum, and even then got an official letter such as the type that you mentioned. How can I come up with an insurance value, do I have to pay for an appraisal somewhere or do they come up with a value? Thanks again for the help!

DSC_0280.JPG

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the most interesting finds I'v seen on the net!!

This a giant piece of American history. I would suggest you have a professional photographer go to town on it and give the pics to a museum then somehow protect it from future decay, buy a quality safe and put it away

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coinman123 -

The items I loaned had official appraisals done by Sotheby’s and Christie’s which I paid for.

On something as unique as your find, I would research as to who is the paramount authority in that field and get an appraisal from them. If at all possible, I would see if you can get an appraisal via quality photos and avoid like the plague having to send the item to them. Once it’s out of your hands anything can happen and with something this historically important you need to be very cautious.

Looking forward to your next find!

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s insane and yours looks to be in superior condition to the one that sold for nine grand. Outstanding find!

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great find. Preserving history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread