Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Another silver day at the fort...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    3926 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hi There Possum and congratulations on your finds including the Franklin Half! Good choice of the background for the Franklin Half, high contrast. I'm also glad that paruna added his comment about the lead object as I had been wondering about its use.

The size of the round holed lead object 'seems' too large to be a hem weight for either a dress or a window curtain. By calling it large I'm refering to the large hole size and how thick it is so it would have been used for a purpose that required a larger hole and a greater amount of weight. I was thinking it had a more work related use though what I had no idea but paruna has come up with some possibilities.

Thank you for sharing your adventure, don't ya just love large branches where folks could climb and swing on! For me, the old trees anywhere just shout at me "Look Here"...…………….63bkpkr
    Last edited by 63bkpkr; Dec 05, 2018 at 01:19 PM.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    14060 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    First Possum Im glad you joined this site you two have some of the bests posts on here I love reading themKids and stuff have kept me away from hunting for a little bit Thanks this helps. I love that Ben those for some reason are hard to find its a nice big silver kinda like finding ten mercs weight wise anyway. That fort sounds like a honey hole for you guys I hooe you get that gold coin. Keep rippin guys. Tommy
    Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $4.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.50 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche diggers, and the custom made Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    2690 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Congrats on the Big Silver!! You don't see many of the Big Ben's found on this forum so well done!

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5823 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Maybe a spindle whorl?
    Truth1253 and Possum like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    1769 times
    Nice half! They don't come out near often enough, grats to ya and thanks for sharing.
    Hawks88, Truth1253 and Possum like this.

us
    Aug 2007
    Western New York
    CTX-3030, Equinox 800
    2699 times
    Nice Ben! Awesome! Congrats!

WhyMe

CTX-3030, Equinox 800

us
    Mar 2016
    eastern nc
    Minelab etrac, Makro racer 2
    3342 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    That is a nice find my rebel brother
    Truth1253, Joe-Dirt and Possum like this.
    silver coins to date= 297, large coppers= 46, best coin 1836 capped bust quarter in au condition. best button= nc button only a few exist, favorite= 1733 spanish cob, 3 early 1700s cut spanish silver, 1794 colonial Italian silver, 1757 half real, 1783 half real

Charter Member
    us
    "D"

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    Minelab CTX 3030, Tesoro Tejon, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, Tesoro Compadre' and Tesoro Cortes.
    1122 times
    Quote Originally Posted by peruna View Post
    First things first...congrats on the great half. There are rewards in life for persistence. You found one!

About your holed lead...Folks in Florida used to do that with scrap camp lead for weights for fishing as well as for nets and sashes. Homemade, and very functional.
    Don't know if that is yours, but I have seen some similar in the area of FW/SW fishing holes.

Nicely done.
    The fort is right on Bayou St, John and Lake Pontchartrain . I thought about it being a fishing weight, but a cast net or a seine weight makes more sense. In my line of work I should've thought of that...LOL, thanks for the great info Peruna!!! "D"

"Blessed is the Nation, who's God is the Lord!!!" Psalms 33:12

"I have fought against the people of the North because I believed they were seeking to wrest from the South its dearest rights. But I have never cherished toward them bitter or vindictive feelings, and I have never seen the day when I did not pray for them." General Robert E. Lee

"My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." General Stonewall Jackson

Founder / CEO of the "Indian Creek Historical Society"

Charter Member
    us
    "D"

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    Minelab CTX 3030, Tesoro Tejon, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, Tesoro Compadre' and Tesoro Cortes.
    1122 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 63bkpkr View Post
    Hi There Possum and congratulations on your finds including the Franklin Half! Good choice of the background for the Franklin Half, high contrast. I'm also glad that paruna added his comment about the lead object as I had been wondering about its use.

The size of the round holed lead object 'seems' too large to be a hem weight for either a dress or a window curtain. By calling it large I'm refering to the large hole size and how thick it is so it would have been used for a purpose that required a larger hole and a greater amount of weight. I was thinking it had a more work related use though what I had no idea but paruna has come up with some possibilities.

Thank you for sharing your adventure, don't ya just love large branches where folks could climb and swing on! For me, the old trees anywhere just shout at me "Look Here"...…………….63bkpkr

You can ask Truth, I'm a sucker for large tree branches, I'll spend hours working them back and forth. I can just imagine some young buck hanging upside down trying to impress his young lady friend and spilling the contents of his pockets.

Your suggestions regarding the lead weight are also plausible and something to consider as well. I suppose we'll never actually know what it was used for but having ideas as y'all have suggested makes for an active imagination... thanks, take care and God bless...

"D'
    Truth1253 likes this.

"I have fought against the people of the North because I believed they were seeking to wrest from the South its dearest rights. But I have never cherished toward them bitter or vindictive feelings, and I have never seen the day when I did not pray for them." General Robert E. Lee

"My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." General Stonewall Jackson

Charter Member
    us
    "D"

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    1122 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    First Possum Im glad you joined this site you two have some of the bests posts on here I love reading themKids and stuff have kept me away from hunting for a little bit Thanks this helps. I love that Ben those for some reason are hard to find its a nice big silver kinda like finding ten mercs weight wise anyway. That fort sounds like a honey hole for you guys I hooe you get that gold coin. Keep rippin guys. Tommy
    Tommy,

As always I look forward to your post and replies. I realize Truth and I get carried away with our post, but down here we're sort of long winded and like to explain things in great detail, especially me... Lol

You've always givin me good advise that I take to heart, your definitely one of my Bro's and I appreciate all the kind and joking remarks you make to our post, especially the part about me loosing my marbles, because when I found this Franklin, I darn near lost them for sure!!!

Once again, thanks for everything and that goes for the rest of y'all as well!!! being part of this forum makes me feel as though I have an extended family and I appreciate each and everyone of you!!!

Take care and God bless each and everyone of you!!!

"D"

Charter Member
    us
    "D"

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    1122 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Maybe a spindle whorl?
    You got me there Cuda, I know what a spindle is, or at least a modern spindle, but I have no Idea what a spindle whorl is. Sorry for showing my ignorance, but I have to be honest... "D"

Charter Member
    us
    "D"

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    1122 times
    Quote Originally Posted by crabstang44 View Post
    That is a nice find my rebel brother

Name:  Proud Decendant.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  10.6 KB

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5823 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum View Post
    You got me there Cuda, I know what a spindle is, or at least a modern spindle, but I have no Idea what a spindle whorl is. Sorry for showing my ignorance, but I have to be honest... "D"
    Google it. You'll find all kinds of samples and an explanation of their uses.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    15296 times
    Metal Detecting
    You don’t think that it’s a lead nipple that wore through on the gun possum As A friend of mine pointed out?
    Possum likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Patriot

Apr 2016
    Georgia
    Excalibur 2, CTX 3030 Stealth 720i ,RTG 6" Lesche GS 36 Predator Raptor TRX pp
    2532 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Congrats on that big Silver half. Great find.
    USMC 67-70/ VN 69-70

"oh.... thot ya wuz whipper-snippering"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links