Civil war fort...bummer

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
So I have been researching a very small civil war fort (that I choose not to mention at this time) about an hour and a half south of Louisville for a few weeks now. Well I requested off of work today and went looking for it. Well, it took me about 2 hours and a buncha gas riding around before I found what I am pretty sure is the property. There was an old sketch in a book and it was pretty well matched with the surroundings and field. Well, to make a very, very long story short, I spent around 15-25 hours researching this site and getting all of the info. I went to the house today to ask for permission and this nice little innocent old lady answered the door. I asked her for permission to hunt and kinda explained what metal detecting was and she said "I don't think I want you doing that, there is an old family cemetery in the field and it just doesn't seem like a good idea". I was literally heart broke (however I do understand completely). Well theres the last few weeks of research down the drain!!!

Upvote 0

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Better luck next time. I'm looking at an old fort now on private property, but I haven't found the owners as of yet. Keep it up, you'll find one yet.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know everytime i research........i can't find sh!t......

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
Hour and 1/2 south of Louisville, - Hart County perhaps? I grew up in Hardin County. Moved away 27 years ago, long before I started metal detecting. Family still lives in the area, though. My oldest brother in E-town and has hunted a few areas in the Hart Co. area and made some finds. He also isn't far from the old rail bridges north of town.

Keep it up! Good luck to you in your quest!

HH

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Run into the same thing here. No cemeteries just private property on all the CW sites that I would LOVE to hunt. Some of them have never been hunted and most likely never will.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a bummer but you could try the surrounding area .Might turn something up. Good luck.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happens all the time. So don't let it dampen your interest in research or going about things the right way! KFB and I do great with our finds--and we run into dead ends like you did as well! Now the key is to have many different pots on the stove at once, so to speak. That way you're never out of a site for your drive. Takes more time and more determiniation, but it is a heck of a lot better than chance. Let's face it. You can drive by a house (by chance) and stop to ask and perhaps (by chance) get permission and BY CHANCE find out that it hasn't been hunted before. OR you can do the research, find a site that has been gone for a long time--and likely hasn't been ever detected--and knock on the door. Which has more possibilities for failure? KFB and I have at least four CW sites going right now--all with permission, and tons and tons of house/tavern/schoolhouse sites where there is nothing left, and hasn't been for at least half a century. That's what good hunting is about. Those virgin sites that come with research. So don't let it get ya down. It's all part of detectin'. Learn what proves the most successful for you research-wise, in terms of getting permission, and in terms of hunting. There are hundreds of sites well within the same driving distance of you that are just as good--and I say this with the experience to back it up! Don't sweat the small stuff. Just leave a good impression and move on to the next idea you have.

Regards,

Buckleboy

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
be persistant, offer to mark off the cemetery, (if it is not done so already), explain to her since the land has been in her family so long, if you find anything that would appear to be a "family heirloom" you will return it to her. See if she needs any help around the property (something that may take a little time, but little or no money, since you are not sure if that is the right property), check back with her occasionally, let her warm up to you.

Send a Christmas card, add a little note and remind her who you are. Offer to show her how it works, say in her front yard. Time will get you in there. I have been successful with this approach at one site, but am still "working" on another.

Good luck, and double check your maps, you just might be on the wrong property.

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
This happens all the time. So don't let it dampen your interest in research or going about things the right way! KFB and I do great with our finds--and we run into dead ends like you did as well! Now the key is to have many different pots on the stove at once, so to speak. That way you're never out of a site for your drive. Takes more time and more determiniation, but it is a heck of a lot better than chance. Let's face it. You can drive by a house (by chance) and stop to ask and perhaps (by chance) get permission and BY CHANCE find out that it hasn't been hunted before. OR you can do the research, find a site that has been gone for a long time--and likely hasn't been ever detected--and knock on the door. Which has more possibilities for failure? KFB and I have at least four CW sites going right now--all with permission, and tons and tons of house/tavern/schoolhouse sites where there is nothing left, and hasn't been for at least half a century. That's what good hunting is about. Those virgin sites that come with research. So don't let it get ya down. It's all part of detectin'. Learn what proves the most successful for you research-wise, in terms of getting permission, and in terms of hunting. There are hundreds of sites well within the same driving distance of you that are just as good--and I say this with the experience to back it up! Don't sweat the small stuff. Just leave a good impression and move on to the next idea you have.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Ditto!

Did her son have a tractor and a bad attitude by any chance?

You will get um next time.

BTW how the hell are you doing all this digging in this ground? Its like concrete! We went hunting last weekend and it was tough to say the least! Its almost like work! I think its going to rain today and tomorrow. Maybe it will help us Kentuckians out a bit.

Best of luck

KFB

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Arrgh! Thanks, you may have saved me a trip over there.

Keep in mind also in your research that the old roads aren't always in the same place they were way back then. Some places that look so obvious on a map,ie river crossings and bridges can still be 1/4 mile down stream. Pull out the topos and look for a spot within a little ways that it could have also been.

I haven't been to that fort yet, BUT we've been getting closer and closer. :)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildrider said:
Arrgh! Thanks, you may have saved me a trip over there.

Keep in mind also in your research that the old roads aren't always in the same place they were way back then. Some places that look so obvious on a map,ie river crossings and bridges can still be 1/4 mile down stream. Pull out the topos and look for a spot within a little ways that it could have also been.

I haven't been to that fort yet, BUT we've been getting closer and closer. :)

Thanks for the heads up, wildrider. KFB and I will try to stay one step ahead of you with our research. Hope you don't mind sloppy seconds? ;)

Regards,

Buckleboy

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevo, is someone keeping up the cemetery? Lots of times the cemeteries in the middle of farmland are not. If it is not you might offer to do that.

Good luck!!

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
I feel for ya. I had the same thing happen to me after researching what I believe was the spot for a "basic training camp" for the confederates and I spent a lot of time in the library, tax office and historical museum. All that work only to hear "That's nice but I don't want anyone diggin up stuff on my property".

I have one ace up me sleeve hopefully in the form of my some what hunting partner. She is an older lady and she is going to ask the old guy for permission ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread