🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it only took 30 years but it finally happened. I was able to mark one off the list today and it sure felt good doing it. I've had a plan all week to hunt the old zoo with the CTX and dig all targets from 7 up in a spot close to where the old train depot used to be. I arrived and got set up and began hunting, within 10 minutes, my battery in my pinpointer dies. I check my battery stash and no 9v, so I walk across the street and grab some new ones and proceed with my hunt. Not 15 minutes later I get a text from a guy I've been trying to meet up with for the last 3 days. Ok.... I drive over to his house and an hour later I'm able to take care of business and head back to the zoo.

Finally I'm able to settle in and start with my plan of seeing what all I had left behind..... pulltabs, can slaw, beavertails and aluminum misc junk. Ok...I had enough of that crap, so I load my cherry picking pattern into the CTX and head into the zoo to an area I had hunted last week and managed to pull a couple of silver coins and 3 or 4 wheats.

First target I hit was a nice deep wheat at 7-8", a good sign after nothing but interruptions and junk all morning. I meander around and decided to grid an area that had produced some silver and wheats in the past. I had left my jacket in the car and was hunting in the shade and it had clouded up. I decided to work my way back to the car and grab my jacket. I'm more focused on getting warm than hunting at this point, Then it happens, I get a slight repeatable high tone and I see 11-47 12-48 on the screen a couple of times. I'm thinking maybe a deep silver, possibly a quarter or just a clad quarter.

I cut my plug and flip it out of the way, take my shovel and begin to loosen the dirt in the hole so I can stick my pinpointer in. I toss the dirt around and there it was..... a big grey round disc. At first it didn't register what it was, I'm thinking token or flattened alunimum until I pick it up :headbang: My mind was racing and I just can't believe what I found, I couldn't get my phone out out of my pocket fast enough to call Jimmy, my hunting buddy. I don't have my glasses and at first I thought it was a Barber. My buddy says he didn't know they minted Barber dollars, and I can't think straight enough to realize they didn't :tongue3:

I head to the car to get my jacket and my glasses, as I walking there, Jimmy calls me back and tells me I had found a Morgan dollar, not a Barber haha and tells me to look for a mint mark because a CC is a key coin. Well...no mint mark, but, I really didn't care one way or another, I had my silver dollar and it was an old the oldest coin I had pulled out of this place so far. I'm stoked and it's still early in the afternoon, so, I head back to hunt some more, I ended up finding 5 more wheats. It took everything I had to stay focused after digging old, big silver, but I'm greedy and I wanted some more :)

I've dug plenty of halves, and they are a special treat to find, but the silver dollar has eluded me for a long time.... now, it's on to the holy grail, a gold coin. Thanks for looking and letting me ramble, I'm still pumped :laughing7:

Attachments

• dollar2.jpg
    dollar2.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 258
  • dollar1.jpg
    dollar1.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 260
  • dollar3.jpg
    dollar3.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 189
  • dollar4.jpg
    dollar4.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 249
  • dollar5.jpg
    dollar5.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 74

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Awesome!!!!!!!!!! Nice finds!!!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big-time congrats knocking that beauty off the list- 28 years for me and no silver dollars of any type yet.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! I've always dreamed about finding a big ole silver dollar...so far no luck. But finds like yours helps me to still feel like its possible.

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big-time congrats knocking that beauty off the list- 28 years for me and no silver dollars of any type yet.

It's been a very elusive coin, I've dug a few Eisenhower dollars, but, until now, no silver.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome! I had to buy my first Morgan! :laughing7: Congrats on your first big silver dollar! :icon_thumleft:

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats! Nice Morgan :icon_thumright:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Silver Dollar Lounge !! An exclusive Ladies and Gentleman's club reserved for those fortunate few who dig up a Silver Dollar. I was fortunate to be inducted into the lounge a decade ago or so. Welcome Sir !

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! I’ve got a peace dollar under my belt, but Morgan still eludes my search coil. Again, congratulations, that is truly a fantastic find!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot Dog now that is how you do it!!:hello2:

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! I've always dreamed about finding a big ole silver dollar...so far no luck. But finds like yours helps me to still feel like its possible.

It was the furthest thing in my mind of finding.....I was hoping to find a rosie or merc today :)

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats are in order,that Morgan cleaned up swell. Welcome to the silver dollar club.1879 is an early Morgan.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow dan , congratulations on Awesome find , now sit down and relax and enjoy ur bucket list

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats.gif Dan, what a great find!!! Hope you fulfill your quest for the ​GOLD...

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow dan , congratulations on Awesome find , now sit down and relax and enjoy ur bucket list

The heart of man is never satisfied....

Thanks Jimmy, I know how you felt when you found your Seated half and Belt plate.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice, thought I had one several times but alas, not the case. congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread