paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to be counting the days until the snow starts to melt and I can get back to this spot. It's a cellar hole beside an old road on private property that I got permission to check out. I've been hunting the sites in those woods for a few months, but this one I only recently stumbled on because it isn't in any of the 1800's property maps. While hard to find, unmarked sites tend to be the most exciting spots to detect. This one is a well-preserved cellar that's on a small rise just above a stream. At first the hunt went very slow with almost no targets and I started to think someone had cleaned it out already, but after an hour I started pulling out button after button and mostly shallow targets. By the end of the hunt I had pulled out over a dozen buttons including two that I never expected:

DSC00955.JPG DSC00959.JPG

I believe these two are blowhole buttons, but one is absolutely huge; nearly an inch across!

DSC00957.JPG DSC00958.JPG

From my understanding these were worn from the 1600's to the 1750's. Since my area wasn't settled until after that it's likely that these were just worn many years after they were out of fashion. Based on the other buttons and relics I would guess that this site was occupied from the 1770's to early 1830's. I also managed to find a single late 1700's cufflink with a very unique design that I haven't seen before:

DSC00965.JPG

There were two Georgian shoe buckle fragments as well:

DSC00963.JPG

I'm hoping there's a whole shoe buckle around, but I did find a complete knee buckle that's entirely made of iron:

DSC00962.JPG

The knee buckle is a very good example of why you should clean all iron even if it doesn't look like anything out of the ground. Initially it looked like just another blob of rust and I put it in with the other junk iron, but a light rinse revealed it wasn't solid and some careful cleaning got rid of all the excess rust so that the mechanism became visible. I doubt it would survive tumbling so I just did a wax treatment, as is, and hopefully it'll remain stable.

There were a number of other early non-ferrous relics:

DSC00966.JPG DSC00967.JPG

One full thimble and one fragment, the bowl of a tiny brass spoon, several pewter spoon fragments, and assorted odds and ends. No coins yet but the ground had started to freeze and several inches of snow prevented a thorough grid. I think that if I can get back when the ground is thawed and wet I should have better luck on small and deep targets. There's also more ground to cover further away from the cellar so I have high hopes for the site. With any luck some early silver is around, but I'd settle for a KGIII copper! Two feet of snow and then two weeks of cold means I'll be waiting awhile for the return trip though...

Upvote 18

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, pretty darn awesome on all of it. love the cuff link

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the multitude of button finds! :occasion14:

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, great new site, congrats!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am especially fond of the blow hole type buttons. The holes were used for the escape of gases when the fronts were soldered to the backs. I generally do not find them from sites dating after the Revolution, however I have seen a few from Napoleonic sites in Europe in the past.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am especially fond of the blow hole type buttons. The holes were used for the escape of gases when the fronts were soldered to the backs. I generally do not find them from sites dating after the Revolution, however I have seen a few from Napoleonic sites in Europe in the past.

Yeah, I couldn't find too much information in them besides general construction. Were they English made and then imported? The ones that have been posted here on treasurenet seemed to mostly be from particularly early sites and around the coasts. Definitely not something I expected to turn up in my area and I can't seem to find any other examples as large as that first one. Most look to be 20mm in diameter or less.

It's conceivable that this spot happens to be one of the very early homesteads for this town. I hope a few more pre-revolutionary war relics turn up since that would build a stronger case.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Those buttons are great but that cufflink is awesome! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some great finds. I was not familiar with blowhole buttons, but they are now on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing, and congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buttons fell off like leaves in the fall back then amazing good hunt

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button and relic haul, the 2 holers are very cool. congrats on all the finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread