Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this two weeks ago, not today, three feet underground in a 17th century trash pit, which still needs to be dug out. I saw another small piece of the bottle, but it was muddy and hard to dig I could not retrieve it. While only a fragment, I was able to get a 100% positive identification on it. It IMG_1507.JPG is a piece of retorti a penne Venetian glass, made before 1700 in Venice, Italy. It probably started out life as a glass snuff bottle. I found one for sale with the same pattern and it was about $6,000.00 complete! Wow! Guess I won't be buying that!

Anyway, I'm happy with the fragment and when it warms up will go back to that house site and dig 'em up. It now lives in a small case all by itself. The next few days will be days of sorting and labeling all the new toys. The whole snuff bottle would only have been about 4" tall.

BTW that oldest piece of glass I ever found!

Last edited:
Upvote 27

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully you will find enough shards to reassemble.....you just never know. I always hold onto pieces like this, they are part of the site's story.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Aw Smokey, I love your posts but must bust your bubble. Westfront & Cru have both found Roman glass so your's is not the oldest glass ever found. Cool dig though. Good luck.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I corrected the original post, oldest glass I ever found. Now ceramics, I have older stuff from the US in the form of a bellarmine neck.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome glass with some interesting history, congrats! :occasion14:

Wouldn't it be cool if you found the rest of the bottle.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I barely know my ABC's...let alone glass....but cool none the less. Congrats!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, when the ground gets a little dryer, if that ever happens, it's raining again, well, I saw 1 more bit in the hole but it was so blasted muddy I couldn't grab it. I would like to get the rest or most of it. Even if I got the whole thing, it would just be a curiosity piece. With this old stuff, condition if everything regarding $$$ value, but since I don't really sell, it is kinda irrelevant.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece Smokey seems muddy might be best for getting the bottle out only it would be hard to see what you were digging.. good luck!!!!!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool Smoke, I hope you can dig the rest of it, restore it and post some pictures.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt it would restore, even if it's all in the hole. That glass is paper thin. I saw some repros in another color, stuff is pretty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread