Incredible find in the Low Country of South Carolina...

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible detecting trip to South Carolina’s low country. The region is rich with history - pre-colonial, colonial, Revolutionary War, Civil War and slavery. The particular area I detected had a slave rebellion in 1739. While searching a very remote area of swamp I came across an area that looked a bit different. There were two or three subtle raised spots. Off to the side I found buttons and a fire pit with bits of iron and oyster shell. On each raised spot I found various iron relics - a pair of forged hinges, a gun barrel, horseshoe, spoon, pieces of chain, and the ball that was once one man’s burden. When I pulled the ball and pieces of chain from the ground I had to take a moment - I had actually found a long lost runaway slave camp. I felt somehow connected to the person who had so long ago sought freedom. After resting in the dirt for hundreds of years, this relic of a dark, sad segment of our history was now part of my own life and story. I plan to preserve and share this with everyone I can. It is no longer a story in a book, it is real, tangible. The weight of that iron ball bears proof and confirms the misery this poor soul must have endured.

UPDATE - After a looong session of electrolysis it looks like I was mistaken on the ball - it seems to be a 4lb cannonball, possibly from the period around the Revolutionary War! I am going to research more this evening but I didn't want this post to go on with incorrect info... Stay tuned!

hinge.jpg horseshoe.jpg chain.jpg gun.jpg Slave ball.jpg button.jpg spoon.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 29
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice old relics! :occasion14:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice saves!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found a golden digging spot! Be sure to sift though the dirt on later trips there, this is a promising site! :D

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt there is a lot of history there. Just gotta dig it Well done Tommy

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome finds, any better pics of the barrel? way cool in so many ways on all of them

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! :icon_thumleft: Can't wait to see what else you find there!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job brother, can you post more pictures of that gun barrel please, I’d like to try to ID it

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds , you now stay in the "Low Country"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread